Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if they make a left-handed over & under? I would like a 12ga, with a pretty stock. I have saved $2000. for this shotgun, any help would be wonderful! I want to shoot ducks, and some clay targets. Thank you for your time.
ShotgunMiss

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
franchi does make a left handed field gun but for 2g's you could do what I did and buy yourself a nice beretta o/u (I bought a silver pigeon II) and get the stock bent.either way you'll be pleased franchis are great guns and so are berettas.
www.franchiusa.com
www.berettausa.com

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi Shotgunmiss--

I agree with pigeonhunter. You might look at Weatherby and Ruger as well.

I'm going to go out on a limb and conjecture that you are a woman shotgunner. If so, you might want to check out our Women's forum, moderated by the knowledgeable, if slightly bizzare, XTbabe and Goldenhunter. They can give you the benefit of their experience as women in the shooting world, although of course we're glad to offer answers here any time.

Meanwhile, welcome to Shotgunworld! You've definitely come to the right place :)

Best,

Jeff23

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your quick responses. Yes, I am a women shooter. 5'2", and left-handed, so nothing seems to fit. I'll check out the women's section forum. I'm a new shooter, but really into this sport. This place looks like a great place to start! Thanks again.
ShotgunMiss

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
I thought about that a minute....o/u right or left hand? Then I recalled that one of mine has a palm swell on the right side. However, most of the basic doubles and those in the price range selected should be ambidextrous. The safeties are placed just for this and the adjustable comb will shift to either side.

The Browning Citori's are a good choice or a Beretta, the 682 gold E comes with a canted trigger shoe to make left or right, it's more of a target gun though. And I still like the look of the Franchi Alcione, even in the field version you can get a set of 20ga barrels that don't have to be fitted and they offer a lefty.

http://www.franchiusa.com/firearms/alcione-ft.tp

·
Registered
285 Posts
For a "left handed over and under" wouldn't the top opening lever have to be pushed to the left instead of the right to open?

Other than a palm swell having to be on the "other side", wouldn't the gun most likely have "cast off" instead of "cast on"? Of course, most O/U have no cast at all--but something to think about.

Interesting!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I was concerned with the top thing that opens the gun...I think it's called a tang, but not sure. I would hope to find a gun that offered a true left-handed model. Also a proper fit for a left eyed, left-handed small person. Yipes! Is that possible?
Thanks, ShotgunMiss

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Yes, welcome to the site and to shooting.

The almost certain reason that your gun didn't fit was that you were very likely using a gun with a stock that was designed for an ''averge'' man, 5' 9" and 160 pounds. That stock would be too long for you, have its top surface (comb) at the wrong height, a grip that is too large, and a recoil pad that is at the wrong angle to comfortably and securely fit against your shoulder.

Please investigate or try a gun with a lady's or youth stock. Its dimensions may not fit you exactly but it should be a lot closer than any man's stock. http://stockfitting.virtualave.net

Rollin

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Hello Shotgunmiss,

I too am a lefty. I do not have a problem pushing the barrel release on my Fausti or Browning. In fact I find it easier to push rather than to pull the release. I break open my Citori with it canted to the right so the kicked out shells strike my abdomen and aren't kicked across the range. They stay in the barrel and are then removed easily. As for the angle of the rear stock, the Fausti does have an angled stock. I can't see any angle in the Citori and shoot it the best of all of my shotguns.

I agree with the previous post. Try to find a youth model if you can.

Good luck

Equismith

·
Registered
33 Posts
Was a righty, now a lefty. I too shoot a Browning Citori, I don't have any problem opening the gun, mounting, or shooting. My father uses it as well and he shoots right handed.

I understand about the palm swells being a concern. I looked at a lot of guns before this Citori. Another one I really liked was the Remington 3200.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your help, and suggestions. I'll look into all of them. I'm in no hurry to purchase, so I'll take my time and look at them all. I'll start with a youth size. Thanks again!

G

·
ShotgunMiss,
I would like to suggest an alternative answer to your problem. #1, a well cared for used shotgun of most types can be bought for 1/2 to 2/3 of the price of a new shotgun. Most of the better grades are bought and used by people that make sure thier guns are very well cared for.
Why not look around in some of the better gun stores until you find a gun that suits you, and spend a lot less than buying a new one. Take the money you saved on the gun and locate a stock maker that can fit a stock to your dimensions, which will have the palm swell on the right side, will have the toe cast out to fit a womans anatomy, and have the right amount of cast off to fit your frame, and will have the proper drop and pitch to fit you exactly. If you do not go crazy on the fancy wood and checkering, you can probably get the stock made for you for the amount left in your budget, after buying the USED shotgun.
Once you get your dimensions that you need in a shotgun stock, you can shop by mail with different stockmakers and possibly save some money before you actually buy.
About 20 years ago, I had myself fitted on a "Try Gun" at Fajens stocks in Warsaw Missouri, to fit a Winchester Model 12, trap gun I had just bought. I had the dimensions written down for me and I filed them. I bought the stock for that Winchester from Fajens, but I have bought other stocks from other stock makers to fit other guns since that time. Every one of the guns has fit perfectly, and shot great. The only problem is that I put on about 30 lbs, and now those stock dimensions no longer fit.
I hope this helps solve your problem

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey! I'd just like to welcome you to ShotgunWorld Forums! I'd also like to note that we do have a women's forum. And if you'd like your welcome to ask any question there instead of here or wherever. Now that i've confused just about everyone including myself LOL. I'm through blabbering

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
ShotgunMiss--

I took the liberty of informing XT of your existence, just so you'd be introduced to the women on the board. XT sounds weird, I know, but she's actually quite an intelligent an friendly person once you get to know her. :lol: You are more than welcome in any of the forums, of course. We just thought an introduction to the women might be nice.

Jeff23

·
Registered
59 Posts
JMCCOYB said:
For a "left handed over and under" wouldn't the top opening lever have to be pushed to the left instead of the right to open?

Other than a palm swell having to be on the "other side", wouldn't the gun most likely have "cast off" instead of "cast on"? Of course, most O/U have no cast at all--but something to think about.

Interesting!
The top lever on a right handed gun is not a problem for a left hander. I know, because I'm left handed and shoot a Browning Special Trap which is a right handed gun. I have an adjustable comb set for a little bit of cast-on. No palm swells (I hate em, even when they're on the proper side). It has become second nature to pop open the top lever with my right thumb as I'm bringing the gun down from the shot, and I can open my gun just as conveniently and fast as a right hander does.

·
Registered
8 Posts
CHECK OUT "MILLER"S GUN CENTER,INC." I RECENTLY BOUGHT A LEFT HAND 12 GA BROWNING 425. I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER. THE WOOD IS BEAUTIFUL AND THE ENGRAVING IS ALSO NICE. LOOK UP THIER WEB SITE AT www.millersguns.com AND YOU CAN CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
2GSPS is right,
Miller has special runs at the Miroku factory made just for them in the 425 and Ultra Sporting Citoris.

Here is their contact info:

Telephone
(302) 328 9747
(302) 328 4849
mailto://[email protected]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.