Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a left handed shooter looking for an o/u with cast appropriate for leftys.

Who knows what about this subject? Why do doubles, apparently, have cast while semis and pumps don't?

Who makes o/u's with a left handed cast (for about under $1,500)? Or a neutral cast?

Can a right handed gun stock be affordably modified to left handed cast?

Does cast matter in field shooting, v. clays?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Cast is only one of the measurements that come into play when it comes to gun fit. To take advantage of a gun fitted to a shooter that shooter has had to develope a good consistant gun mount.
That being some guns come thru neutral , others with a bit of cast off for right handed shooters. There are a few O/U's coming thru with some left hand cast and some auto's than can b adjusted a bit to help tune it a bit to a shooter. Depending on what's needed adjustments can be as simple as some sanding or having a stock bent which runs in the $250 -300 range normally.
To answer you question there probably isn't very many top sporting clay who doesn't shoot a fitted gun. To shoot at the top of your game in the field or at clays a shotgun that fits will help enormously.

·
Registered
389 Posts
FWIW right handed shooters use a gun with "Cast Off" in varying degrees. Shouthpaw shooters like me do better with a gun with "Neurtal Cast" or "Cast On".

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Clarkster, both Browning & Beretta have left handed (cast on) shotguns. Im not sure if you can find one to fit your budget.

Almost all of todays semi auto come with shim's that will allow you to add cast on/off and raise or lower the comb.

Most stocks can be bent by a good gun fitter. I would not suggest this route unless you know exactly what dimensions you are trying to achieve.

Having an adjustable comb added, adds versitility. These can usually be had for the $250 or so range. While I am not a big fan of how an adjustable comb looks, it sure is handy while you are trying to get the correct gun fit.

As a side note; Ken Rucker - Speedbumpstocks does EXCELLENT work in this department. I am sure there are others as well but you cant go wrong with Ken.

Good Luck,

RTA48

·
Registered
459 Posts
Most semi and pumps are made strait to fit the masses with no cast, so they will fit left handed shooters and right hand shotters the same.. most of the cheaper shotguns dont have cast.. cz is one of them, maybe weatherby orion... The weatherby may be a good compromise, youll have to check.. Hold the gun upside down and look down the barrel from the muzzel end .. the toe of the butt will be off to the right if its right hand cast... In my opinion proper cast reduces recoil.. A high quality rifle will have cast off(for a right hand shooter) ,,, and a cheek piece thats left high, then is filed down by the stock maker to bring the guns comb so the eye is in line with the bore,sights etc.. Strait stocked big bore rifles are usually known to have unrelenting recoil... my opinion only.. dave..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.