Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was poking around Gander Mtn tonight and came upon a new Legacy 12 ga in their "Field" section. I am looking to purchase my first shotgun but it will be entirely for clays use at this point - probably 1-200 rds per week. I was dead set on getting an o/u but something about the Legacy really made me stop. Is this a good gun to use for clays as opposed to using as a field gun? And please pardon the ignorance of this question.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my first shotgun several months ago. I also am a new shooter and just wanted to shoot clays. I would have purchased a Legacy but they don't make it in a left hand model. I ended up purchasing a SBE II. I have shot over a thousand rounds and love it. I think the Legacy is a great looking gun and you will be well pleased.

·
Registered
550 Posts
dcmidnight,

The Legacy is a really nice hunting version of the Supersport. It has the same 2 piece reciever and of course all the nice engravings.

What is different is obviously the nicer wood and the barrel. It is not ported and comes with flush chokes and a Flatter rib. I honestly compare this to a Beretta 391 on how it feels when looking down the rib but with a slimmer forend due to it not being a gas system.

This gun can ABSOLUTELY be used as a clay gun PLUS you will get a TON of looks because of its beauty on top of that.

You are not ignorant in your question at all by the way. I like auto's better than o/u's and they are more versatile. They can shoot huge hunting loads and not kick as bad as an O/U. They are lighter so easier to carry around all day. It is a Benelli so it is easy to clean and maintain. You will like how it swings in the clay field.

If you ever wanted to really go after it in clays you could always by a Supersport barrel that has a higher clay rib, ported barrel and extended chokes OR just buy extended aftermarket chokes and go clay shooting.

Good luck!
CR

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I've had my M1S90 since 1994 and find the clays don't care what they are killed with. I mostly shoot a tubed 12 Ga O/U, but I only shoot 20 Ga and smaller in it. It's (usually) no problem to "run 'em" (skeet) with the Benelli when I feel the need. Having said all that, IMO an out of the box Benelli has more recoil than is desirable for a dedicated target gun.

IMO, a gas gun is a better choice if you are only going to have one gun for clays - especially in 12 Ga. The 391 Beretta works very well with weight added fore and aft. Some Benellis won't function reliably with recoil reducing add-ons (mine will, btw).

·
Registered
134 Posts
There was a little girl in Houston that used to push 4 flats of shells a week through her Legacy shooting clays. She was a walking billboard for Benelli. She broke the recoil myth which enabled Benelli to leverage it's way into the Sporting Clays discipline. Using a woman to break the recoil myth was a brilliant marketing strategy![/u]

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
It should make a great Clays gun, IF you like "covering the bird" or blotting out every target, but the droppers. Personally, I don't like to have to do that! I much prefer the slightly higher shooting, (POI) of the M2, BUL, SS and such slightly raised rib guns. One can then keep the targets in sight at all times, sort of a 6 O'Clock hold, instead of covering them with the muzzle.

If you like your target guns to shoot like a field gun, why not? But personally I prefer my field guns to shoot like target guns. Regardless, I believe it a plus to stay with just one POA, and not have to be mindful of any difference between the field and target guns. Just personal preference.

As corberts sort of said, I think Benelli is missing the boat in not offering the Legacy with that higher ribbed barrel, but minus the ports of the SS!

Clyde

1 - 6 of 6 Posts