Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All -

I've shot maybe five rounds of SC in the past when I did no other shooting, with scores around 22/50.

So, I've gotten much more interested in shooting lately and I've been shooting quite a bit from a thrower in a land management field near my house. Most of the time we cannot set up to throw any crossing target due to others in the field, so it's basically like shooting trap. I'm by no means a good shot, but I've worked up to being able to easily shoot 25 in a row and pick up doubles with no issues. Last week I did a pheasant/chukar hunt at a preserve and didn't miss a bird so I was feeling pretty good, although plenty of birds were taken with second or even third shot. I shot trap for the first time a few weeks ago and ran pretty well, didn't keep score but I was in the 20/25 area. I was pretty happy with the score but know I have a long way to go.

I decide to go to Old Forge Sporting in VA yesterday with my new 20ga Montefeltro and a 16ga Ithaca37 that I inherited. I hadn't shot either at targets yet.

Long story short, 31/100. I will say, and I now know this wasn't right, that the other courses allowed us to use three shells. And, the trapper told me the course was set for a tournament next week and it was definitely harder then other courses I've shot. I am pathetic at any type of crosser, which were set up at every station. I obviously have issues with the teals, and quartering, and tower shots...but I think I need to get the crossers down before I can go further. It's a matter of not having much experience having to lead anything.

I'm not discouraged, but I'd like to know what you all think is the best method for being able to shoot crossers with some repetition? I've never shot skeet, but it looks to be a good way to practice? I know after I started missing that I would start "peeking" at targets...as well as watching the barrel a bit. I'd like to find a way to get a good feel for lead and use that to help my bird and SC shooting.

Thanks for any advice, I'm also looking into a coached session so I don't get any bad habits ingrained. I do want to be somewhat proficient before getting a session though.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
chilly460 said:
Hello All -
but I think I need to get the crossers down before I can go further. It's a matter of not having much experience having to lead anything.

I'm not discouraged, but I'd like to know what you all think is the best method for being able to shoot crossers with some repetition? I've never shot skeet, but it looks to be a good way to practice?
You are on to the answer: Skeet, skeet and more skeet. If you get a good understanding of skeet and the dynamics of lead you will shoot better in every other discipline and in the field.

Mark

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
And, the trapper told me the course was set for a tournament next week and it was definitely harder then other courses I've shot.
if this is indeed true, NSCA should be notified, no one is allowed to shoot tournament targets before the event! :evil: :twisted:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Olde Forge would not have allowed that.He shot targets from a different box, about 180 degrees from the "FUN SHOOT" targets and the traps will be altered before the " FUN SHOOT " some way some how. As far as shooting crossers practice skeet from 3-4-5 stations to prepare for sporting shoot doubles from there. Will get you used to swinging oneway and stopping and going back the other to get the 2nd bird.
Tim

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Skeet is good, but after you get the skeet down, it's good to find a place you can throw a crosser and shoot it at 5 to 10 yd. increments from like 20,30,40,50 yds.
If you struggle at some yardage, move back to the closer one for awhile then start backin up again.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I will suggest an alternative to this

Thanks for any advice, I'm also looking into a coached session so I don't get any bad habits ingrained. I do want to be somewhat proficient before getting a session though.
I think that you may have some issues that could be modified by a coach now, but if you get proficient before taking a lesson you may get what you suggest you don't want - bad habits.

I find that people who take lessons early in their career do better than those who come later.

Also on the issue raised by Texas Ton of allowing people on the course before a registered shoot; the ban is only on people who will shoot the NSCA competition having access before hand.

I doubt that Chilly is planning on entering the registered shoot? There is no reason to prevent the course being shot as it is being set up, as long as those who shoot it do not enter the registered shoot. If there were such a ban many clubs with one course would be out of business for days before a registered shoot, reducing the incentive to hold registered shoots.

Roger

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good advice all around, I'm going to Ft. Lee this weekend to shoot skeet and try to find information about a local coach. I agree, I'm probably in some bad habits at this point and I don't want to ingrain them further.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
In my very humble opinion (and coming from one that SC has only been an occasional diversion from skeet until recently), take the lesson(s) soon and only concentrate on the doubles as suggested.

Whatever you do don't get "Benderized" like I am and expect that technique to serve well on SC. If I don't make myself do otherwise, I try to make a skeet sight picture out of SC targets - it doesn't work for me, particularly on crossers, because I tend to think too much about measuring the targets and wind up riding them WAY too long.

Shoot a lot of 5-stand if you can.

·
Registered
59 Posts
chilly if you go to Ft. Lee ya might need to take someone with you to trap. As far as instructors Henry Baskerville @ Cavalier Gun Club in Gouchland is very good IMO. I dont have one of his cards but thier in the phone book. If Ft Lee doesn't work out for you Conservation Park formerly Issac Walton is in Charles City on Charles City Road bout 2 miles cross the Henrico CC line.They have skeet, trap, 5-stand, pistol & rifle ranges, archery range, nature trails and 2 miles frontage on the Chickahominy river. Need to be a member or guest. Several regulars from Olde Forge are members there. Maybe you can hook up with one. I'd volunteer but I'm not shooting right now and have neck surgery next week so I'm on the disabled list till late end of summer. Good luck! HAve fun!
Tim

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice. My company did a fun day at Cavalier and I've met Henry, he was one of the folks I was thinking of looking up. Nice guy for sure. He wasn't covering our group, but I've heard good things about him.

I emailed Ft. Lee, the general public is allowed in, just have to hit the visitor's office first. It's about the closest club to me, I live in Chesterfield.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.