Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Editorial - Driving wedges

Tue Dec 27 2005

ON Dec. 8, Liberal Leader Paul Martin announced that his government planned to ban all legally owned handguns in Canada, with a few exceptions. The objective was to reduce gun crime -- a serious problem in Toronto and Vancouver -- by confiscating the pistols and revolvers of ordinary, law-abiding Canadians such as gun collectors and perhaps even target shooters. Mr. Martin suggested that target shooters might be exempted but only under new and unspecified restrictions, cold comfort to the enthusiasts of a sport that is already almost impossibly regulated.
Reactions were predictable. Lobby groups that wish to ban firearms altogether were enthusiastic about Mr. Martin's proposal, as were municipal politicians in cities that have been unable to control the gangs and drug dealers that are the main users of guns for criminal purposes.

Others quickly pointed out that handguns are already onerously licensed and regulated in Canada, that the problem is with illegal handguns and that was where Mr. Martin should address his attention.

Gun owners were, of course, outraged. Memories of the $2-billion long-gun registry were recalled, as was the fact that gun crime rose dramatically even as duck hunters were registering their shotguns under threat of imprisonment.

full story at http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/subscr ... 6223c.html

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Sad, not only because of the confiscation of private property, but because it will have the exact opposite effect as intended...crime will go up. A lot. Because the bad guys will know the good guys ain't got guns.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Political posturing. Surley even an idiot like Martin must realise that banning handguns isn't going to stop the criminals. It all sounds good to the voters in large urban areas like Toronto, who the majority are Liberal backers anyways.

Canada is split, west vs east. Then there is Quebec.. :roll: Here is a province that has a party that is running for federal government, but doesn't have one candidate outside the province of Quebec. There is no chance in a million they could form a government. Why that even allowed in a federal election is beyond me. :?

An American meeting a Canadian for the first time ask's the Canuck. "Are you people ignorant, or just apathetic?" The Canuck answers, "I don't know and I don't care". :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
309 Posts
in the land of plastic money..where does one steal cash? where else,drug dealers.even banks don't carry alot of cash.I say let the bastards all shoot each other,if it wasn't for the innocent bystanders.drug dealer vs drug dealer.how about just fighting crime instead of gun control?
my ten cents(-8 cents for G.S.T.))=2 CENTS
ED

1 - 4 of 4 Posts