Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just acquired my grandfathers Browning A-5 Light 12, 2 3/4 shotgun. According to the ID marks on the barrel, it's a Modified Cylinder. I know my grandfather ran a lot of slugs through the gun to kill a lot of deer, but I was wondering...Is this ok? While I know slugs are best run through rifled barrels, I've heard some say that IC is the best for slugs. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi Matt--

Welcome to Shotgunworld.com! Here you'll find people ready with advice, humor, conversation, and encouragement. You have come to the right place.

The older 2 3/4 in. plain rifled slugs ("Foster" slugs) will be fine in it, provided they are loaded at lesser pressures--down around 1300-1400 fps. The slugs that need to be shot out of a rifled barrel are different, and it says so on the box. Don't get fancy with Sabots or even Brennekes. Look at the box and it will tell you they are suitable for a smoothbore. You're fine with that choke, too. Practice at the range will help lots.

Come back and let us know how it all goes, and congrats on what sounds like a very nice inheritance :)

Best,

Jeff23

G

·
along similar lines, can my old '38 A-5 with polychoke handle these same slugs as matt's light twelve? I should be sure to leave the polychoke fully open, correct?

thanks,

jon

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yup, I'd leave it open. For a '38, I thgink I'd have a gunsmith look at it too. Wouldn't be a bad idea for Mattf to do so as well. When in any doubt, it's best to have a competent gunsmith check it out, That way your mind will be at rest and you can concentrate on your shooting!

Jeff23

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I appreciate the help! I'm going to have my gunsmith take a quick look at her, and then get that a-5 dialed in at the range.
Great site!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts