Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me to a source of info for 3/4 or 7/8 oz loads in 16 gauge? lightest thing I can find in loaded ammo is 1 oz at 1200. Would like to reduce recoil so I can shoot my light pump.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Bill, If you go here http://www.leeprecision.com/instructions you'll find the tables that come with the Loadall. Click on the 16/20 gauge and you'll see loads for 7/8oz @ 1190 and 1230. I'm assuming the loads are on the "safe" side, since Dick Lee makes no distinction about wads or primers. This may, at least, give you a starting point. Good luck.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
After seeing how well the promo has done in 12 ga and with light 20 ga loads I`m sure I would try it.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Your biggest problem likely wouldn't be the powder or recipe, but finding a wad that will produce even a marginally acceptable crimp.

Just finding 16 gauge wads at all might be a problem.

Too bad it's not an O/U or SxS. You could just get a $40 set of 16-20 Gauge Mates and shoot 3/4 or 11/16 oz. 20s.

They still might work in a pump for single shots only -- just catch the whole package in your hand when it ejects.

The website says they'll work in repeating shotguns.

Nasty little buggers after a few shots.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
There's actually a group that develops and tests 16 gauge loads, esp. light pressure loads for older doubles. There's quite a few 7/8 and even 3/4 oz. loads that have all been pressure tested. I'd advise against using the Lee data; with all the variables it would be quite easy to concoct a load that's in excess of max. SAAMI pressure. Your gun probably won't blow up, but over time they could cause undue stress, premature wear, etc. BTW I used the Lee data years ago when I first got into 16g's. Like you, I shoot a model 12 16g, which it a fairly light repeater, and I find 1oz. loads rather obnoxious. There's a membership fee of $20 to the 16 gauge reloaders group, but that gets you all the data, and any new data that members develop. Well worth it IMO. Check your PM, I'll send the group coordinators email.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Fiocchi hull/win209/Clays(not universal clays) 17 grains, Gulandi or Ballistic Products SG-16 with 7/8 ounce of lead shot,1325FPS,9900PSI. Also some 3/4 ounce loads with Clays but need overpowder card thenSG-16 Wad(Fio Hull/Fio616primer,Clays 21grains,3/4 oz of [email protected] and 11000PSI. Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
My friend fires 16 gauge and is reloading Multiple recipes trying to find a very light load for him and his father and wife and father in law. He states that the website he goes to is www.16ga.com

In the forums there, there appears to be an active reloading group and are trying to get some wads made from Remington right now. Supposedly the best wads for the 16ga.

Good Luck . If you cant get some good answers I will ask him to send me some recipes .

·
Registered
185 Posts
www.16ga.com is THE place to go. Get on the gun talk forum and join the low pressure reloading group. Best $20.00 you will ever spend if you are going to reload for the 16! Low pressure loads, 3/4 oz loads, 7/8 oz loads. All pressure tested.

You can use the available Remington SP16 wads but you will need to use some 28ga. filler wads for the 3/4, 7/8 and 1 oz. loads. You might also call Recobs and try to get in on the Remington R 16 1 oz. wad order.

Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.