Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When reloading is it possible to load a shell very light to work a kid up to a full load? If it is possible it just may open the door to me reloading and my son getting his first shotgun.
This isn't for a hunting application, just a shot in the dark at getting him into a nice little 20 ***** 870.
Thanks!
David

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
You don't need to reload to do that. Fiocchi makes a 20 gauge "Trainer" load. 3/4 oz of shot at a moderate velocity - virtually no recoil at all.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There is an 11/16 oz 20 ga load that you can find in the Reloading Forum published by one of the forums more distinguished members, Case. I use this load extensively for skeet practice and for my 11 and 13 year old sons (Stoeger youth 20 ga O/U). From my memory:

Win AAHS 20 ga hull
Unique or Promo powder
Win AA wad
Fiocchi, Nobel Sport or Win primer
300 grains shot (11/16 oz)

I use Promo powder, ~11.5 grains which theoretically gives me 1150 fps. If this were the only load I made I would probably use Unique, it should shoot a hair "softer" and take a little more hull volume which would help with crimps. I think you can use as little as 5/8 oz shot with this load.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
The Cowboy Action 20 ga loads by Accurate powders would be exceptionally light recoiling. They are 3/4 oz loads running 990 fps to 1037 fps using Solo 1000 and Nitro 100 powders.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You are absolutely right in wanting to start him with reduced loads. I used to load 3/4 oz training loads for kids, but I bought a flat of the Fiocci shells referenced above and found that they recoiled even less than my reloads. They would be great for your 870, but they won't operate the action on most autoloaders.

Clemson

·
Registered
2,990 Posts

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Pydpiper said:
I will look into those Fiocci loads, they sound about perfect, thank you.
He is small yet, so the youth 870 will fit him very well, soon.
Thanks for the tips guys!
David
Ditto on the Fiocchi's. My kid started shooting them at 10 in his youth 870.

How much does your kid weigh?

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Some of those web sites have a typo on their description of the Fiocchi 20 lite Trainer ammo. They say 1 1/8 oz, when they should be saying 3/4 oz.

1 1/8 oz in a 20 gauge shell is an extremely heavy load. I don't know anybody who makes a load like that, although it is possible. I used to reload them, but the only hull I could find that was big enough to take that much shot was the all-plastic ACTIV shell.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If you can't find or order on-line the Fiocchi, another alternative is Remington's STS "low-recoil" 20 gauge shell. I've seen those at my local Bass Pro Shop. I think they are 7/8 oz with a velocity of 1,100 ft/sec. Good for you in considering recoil for him. He'll enjoy shooting much better because of it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He has been shooting a .22 for a couple years, I bought him a cricket .22LR when he was 4. He decided he wanted to try a shotgun so I borrowed a .410, an old Cooey I think. I made the mistake of placing my hand behind his shoulder as he fired to feel the recoil, didn't work out too good for him, it was a stiff old gun to begin with.
He wants back on the horse now and it is an excellent time to get him started with a good pump gun, I love my 870's and he knows them inside out already.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see quite a few companies make light loads now that I am reading about them.. If I have difficuly getting the Fiocchi shells will the others give decent results? You guys seem pretty confident in the Fiocchi's, so I had to ask.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts