Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to try to get back into trap and upland game shooting.After multiple shoulder surgerys and ,just today, right hand surgery I would need a gun with as little recoil as possible . I could get a special stock for my Browning XT but I like the way the gun looks hanging on the wall. The $1400 cost of the stock could go toward a new gun. I would imagine an autoloader would be best. What do all of you think? Thanks

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Beretta AL391 Urika or Urika 2 would be good choices. Several different models to look at.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
AL391 Urika is a very soft shooting semi auto. I too have some shoulder issues but the 391 does not bother me at all.

I've heard the Extrema 2 with that kick off system is very low recoil, but I have not fired one to be sure of this.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
1100 Trap has to be the softest shooting out of the box trapgun there is. No trapgun makes much sense for a bird gun though, unless for waterfowl. I would put a RAD unit on the XT (about $450 installed for the best model) and then buy a light bird gun... perhaps a 20ga Benelli Montefeltro or something like that. That $1400 unit you're talking about sounds like a Precision Fit Stock (PFS), which is the best around and it's all one unit, not an alteration to your stock.

Here's one of the best mechanics for the RAD:

greghissemstockworks.com

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
There is no "Lightest Recoiling" model since felt recoil is 100% subjective and everyone will preceive it differently. Gun fit plays the biggest role in felt recoil. The load used, gun weight, action type (semi vs pump etc), and recoil pad design would all follow.

SS is correct that these guns are setup quite different for your intended uses.

I would go with a lighter weight base model for upland. Upland is more carry and less shooting. Then for trap, add weight to the gun to help reduce some more recoil. You can do this quickly and inexpensively if you want to. It then can be removed for all day upland hunts without the extra weight. A model that has a shim system is a plus as you can easiely adjust it for a better fit.

A few good models that would fit the above criteria would be.

Beretta AL391,3901,390 Wal Mart (B/S only), Browning Golds,Silver, Franchi 712 (also Dick's Diamond 712), Weatherby SAS, Winchester SX2,SX3.

·
Registered
388 Posts
.......and I'll throw in my B&P plug as far as ammo goes. Competition 2000 in 7/8oz going 1160 fps. The shells have the "Gordon" system which is a plastic part of the shell exposed against the reciever/bolt to soften the recoil. I doubt they will cycle an 391, but out of my White Lightening they are the softest I've ever felt. Awesome patterns too. All that and delivered to your front door for $67.15

·
Banned
30,315 Posts
Any gas operated shotgun is a big help in reducing felt recoil.

An 1100 is a very soft kicker, and you can go buy one brand new, with choke tubes. Not a bad choice.

But, the softest kicking guns I own are Super X Model Ones. A good SX1 with a modern, high tech recoil pad is about as close to a "kickless" 12 gauge shotgun that I know of.

I also shot a new Remington 105, and it was a very, very light kicking gun. But, Remington is having lots of problems with the first ones out, and for what they cost you could buy about three perfect SX 1 field grades, or two SX 1 skeet guns, or one DU Special SX 1, brand new in the box. The SX 1 is not only the very finest semi auto shotgun ever made, it's cheap compared to the new guns. :lol:

·
Banned
25,625 Posts
Worc is absolutely correct about perceived recoil. Having said that, I would tend to agree with others that the AL391 would be a good choice. But the Xtrema2 with KickOff is even a tad better.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I owned a Beretta 391 for 5 years with over 5k rounds fired and I replaced it with a Remington 11-87 Premier with over 1000 rounds fired, both are 12 ***** guns.

The Remington is a bit softer, recoil-wise, in my opinion compared to the 391.

Mike

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The Extrema 2 with KO might not be such a good idea for someone who signs on with Lilguy. There isn't much one can do with the LOP on the Extrema/KO. It either works or it doesn't. I would like to try one, but don't bother because of the LOP issue. My 391 works fine with 3/4 ounce loads and felt recoil doesn't bother my arthritis. The weight of the 391 is pretty user friendly for those of smaller stature as well. It's hard to shoot well when one is fighting the overall weight of the gun.
Dave

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I just used a Franchi I-12 today at sporting clays.....I loved it....especially because I use my 28's 90% of the time at clays.....but that was one of the softest 12's I have shot. And I seemed to shoot a "couple extra" that I may have missed with the smaller gauge and load. :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am in a similar situation. My chiropractor, who also shoots, suggested I purchase an autoloader due to the softer recoil.

Beretta's Xtrema2 w/ kick-off is marketed as having the most recoil reducing features of any gun on the market. I've had mine since last July and must say it's a joy to shoot. And, more importantly in regards to this thread, compared to every other gun I've fired, it has by far the least recoil.

The kick-off technology works like two recoil reducing struts in the stock, not unlike shock absorbers on your car.

Also, Beretta's can be configured via a shim system for better fit, which also reduces felt recoil.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had left hand and arm surgery (broken thumb tendon with additional surgery to forearm for graft, and then re-routing of a finger tendon to the thumb) a couple years ago.
After about a month, I shot skeet with my SX2, even though my wrist and thumb were still in a splint. Don't tell my doctor! He said "No way!"

I had to remove the plastic hand/wrist splint to cradle the forestock, since the plastic splint made grasping a slippery affair.
Even though I was extremely sensitive to pain at that time, I felt no discomfort at all while shooting 12GA 1oz target loads.

Tried to shoot my S&W 44mag Mountain Gun one hand (righthanded)-offhand with stout loads, too. Bad Idea; I switched to lighter 44 Special loads so I could shoot offhand accurately.
The .45ACP semi-auto was the tough one. I was too weak in my left hand to grip and rack the slide.
But there are ways to do it with one hand, safely.

By the way, my skeet score was a tad bit lower than usual, but it was still fun!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.