Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used Lightfield in the past and currently use them in my fathers 20 ga. I just got my scope back from Leupold for my 11-87 12 ga. and I'm going to try to sight it in before next weekend.

I was going to try (if I can find them in my area) Lightfield's 3 inch Hybred-Elite Magnum Slugs. I read somewhere and I can't remember where that these slugs a very soft and expand very well but don't usually leave an exit wound. It this true or not? Also are the 3 inch Hastings slugs the same way. I might have to go with the 2 3/4 inch slugs at this point of the season. Lightfield slugs are big sellers in my area. I take that as a good sign, maybe I'm wrong on that though. I'm going to sight my gun in a little over two inches high @ 50 yards so it's right on @ 100 yards. This seemed to work pretty well with my fathers 20 ga.

I'll take all the information I can get regarding these slugs both 2 3/4" and 3" from both manufactures. Thanks

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I hate to burst your bubble but the fact is this. All manufacturers will CLAIM that "theirs" is the Best. Sometimes because of an errant shot, excessive distance, or poor placement they are vilified to a degree by the buying public. Do they lie ?....No ! Given the same test conditions all would be hard to counter.

HOWEVER, tests and reality are two very different things.
I will start by saying that all the super slugs out there do a commendable job at dispatching deer. (I won't go into accuracy claims...too many variables )

I have used just about all the brands out there. A certain brand performs well in one of my slug guns while another reminds you of "chaff thrown into the wind."

Since I load my own Lyman slugs I use them as a benchmark.
Note: I hesitate at taking a shot over 100 yds with these slugs.
(I have a REAL appreciation of wind drift and drop.)

In Browning Golds : the Hornady line is great..good down range accuracy.
In USH : I like my Lightfields at long range and Lymans out to 80 yds.
The Savage 110 F has a definite preference for Hastings.
My 870 seems to eat everything with acceptable hunting accuracy.

Unless you place the shot incorrectly they ALL will dispatch deer with aplomb.

As for me and MY definition of a slug gun and MY definition of hunting ranges I would rather go with the heavier slower slug.

Just an opinion. We all have them out there.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had really good luck with the 2 3/4" and 3" Hybrids in my DS II. Both were very accurate and had great terminal performance on whitetail deer. The Hastings didn't shoot well in that gun, or any other that I have owned. Your mileage might vary.

Scott

·
Registered
404 Posts
Woodshed
Maybe the dynamics of the various rounds determines how the round works-IE-maybe some sabots exit before recoil is felt,etc.which causes the shooter to react in a certain way or the harmonics affect the performance because of the lack of the barrel not being imbeddede or the quality of the barrel .

·
Registered
89 Posts
My 20 ga. USH does well with Hastings(2.5" 100yrds) and slightly better with Lightfields(1.5"). I'm sticking with Lightfields for my needs especially after my buddy just nailed a 12point monster on opening day in Ohio with his 20ga. using Lightfields. The deer traveled 10 yrds before dropping.

BTW, I see that you live in NY. I have 5 boxes of factory fresh 20ga Hastings and one box(actually 6 rounds) of Hornady sst's for sale at a good price.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I reload both the Lightfields & SPW's- Hastings 2 3/4" don't really need 3". The accuracy is the same at 100yd.-less than 2". I have never shot a deer with either but have recovered both from range backstop. On an average the Lightfields exspand a little more than the Hastings. The Lightfields are a little liter slug but remember they are also faster. Both slugs should exit the deer most of the time. Oh I've shot just about all my deer with BRI's, but wouldn't hesitate to use the Lightfields or Hastings!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
neophyte said:
I hate to burst your bubble but the fact is this. All manufacturers will CLAIM that "theirs" is the Best.
You hate to burst my bubble.....what kind of way is that to reply to a post? As far as what manufactures will CLAIM, other then sighting my gun in high at 50 yards as per Lightfields web site, I didn't get any information from any manufactures. I read it here or on another web site. I just thought I ask for opinions from people that might have used the slugs I mentioned.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I can't say much about either slug you mention, but with a full bore slug I wouldn't fret over expansion. I shot my 3 buck using 12ga 2 3/4" lightfields yesterday and it was big hole in - big hole out. With an almost 3/4" diameter projectile, expansion isn't really necessary. I did recover a Lightfield from a deer a few years ago....he was still motoring after punching the boiler room with the first shot so I (unnecessarily) popped him a second time....entered the right front shoulder and was recovered in the left side pelvis....front of the slug was mushed up a little with bone fragments stuck in it, but it had no real expansion like a rifle bullet commercial.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Maybe the dynamics of the various rounds determines how the round works-IE-maybe some sabots exit before recoil is felt,etc.which causes the shooter to react in a certain way or the harmonics affect the performance because of the lack of the barrel not being imbeddede or the quality of the barrel .
That's one possiblity. The other its that Hastings slugs a re junk and don't shoot worth a darn out of my 870's with rifled barrels, my Ithaca DSII, or my Tar-Hunt. But you're probably right, it's probably the junk barrels. ;)

Scott

·
Registered
215 Posts
No reason to be sorry, I just didn't have any luck with them and have gave up hope of using them. I believe the Lightfields shoot very well through a large variety of guns and have excellent terminal performance, an opinion that echoes many other that I have read on here and other forums. That being said, I am having the best luck with Hornady SST at the moment, shot my first sub 1/2 in. group at 100 yards through the Tar-Hunt last week. I really liked the Remy Core Lokt till I had a missfire that spoiled a killer offhand group. They were putting all shots into 1 in.

Scott

·
Registered
975 Posts
W00DSHED said:
That's one possiblity. The other its that Hastings slugs a re junk and don't shoot worth a darn out of my 870's with rifled barrels, my Ithaca DSII, or my Tar-Hunt. But you're probably right, it's probably the junk barrels. ;)

Scott
They shoot just fine out of my DSII though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Answering the original post, I have taken five deer with the Lightfield Commander 3" magnum and while it certainly knocks a deer off his feet and they are incredibly accurate, I don't like them. I have taken deer any where from 21 yards out to 75 yards and not one of my shots has left an exit wound. All of my deer taken with them have looked like a bomb went off on the inside. All of my shots have been broadside behind the front shoulder and all but one have punched through the guts thus the reason I don't like them. I'll stick with the Remington Core Lokt slugs.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
shot.gunner said:
Answering the original post, I have taken five deer with the Lightfield Commander 3" magnum and while it certainly knocks a deer off his feet and they are incredibly accurate, I don't like them. I have taken deer any where from 21 yards out to 75 yards and not one of my shots has left an exit wound. All of my deer taken with them have looked like a bomb went off on the inside. All of my shots have been broadside behind the front shoulder and all but one have punched through the guts thus the reason I don't like them. I'll stick with the Remington Core Lokt slugs.
I'm a bit confused. The slugs are accurate, you said they knock the deer down, but they blow up the guts on the deer and don't leave an exit wound. Do I have it right?

Have you ever had to track a deer or lost a deer using them?

Do the slugs mess up a large amount of meat?

I've shot lightfields (and so do many of my friends) and while I agree they don't exit the deer, every deer that I know of that has been shot with a lightfield slug has dropped within sight of the shooter.

No tracking necessary.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
now thats true, ive got some pics of a lightfield i recovered from a deer, it didnt pass thru, but it fell where i shot it. thats happened about 4 times now. shooting 12ga mossy 500 with isb and a banner scope. as you will see slig deformed/mushroomed out pretty good

·
Registered
245 Posts
No, I have never had to track a deer that I shot with a Lightfield Commander. I have never had to track a deer (or any animal) shot by a 12 ga slug for that matter. Torn up guts in my opinion mess up the tenderloins inside the deer and make an unnecessary mess when cleaning.

If I can get the same accuracy out of a different type of slug that doesn't fragment inside the deer then that's what I would prefer to use. For the moment the Remington Core Lokt slug fills that requirement. I'm in the process of trying the Federal Tipped Barnes Expander.

The Lightfield is accurate and deadly and answering the original post, none of mine have exited the deer.

·
Registered
420 Posts
shot.gunner,
I believe the poster was asking about the Hybrid Expander and the Hybrid Elite slugs, not the Commander. They are a completely different design. I have shot the Hybrid Expander for 4 years now and 50% (5 out of 10) of my shots have resulted in an exit wound. It seems to be related to the range of the shot, if the shot is over 50 yards the slug must not deform as much (due to a lower velocity) and usually exits. On shots under 50 yards the slug expands violently and usually ends up under the hide on the far side. Either way the deer does not go far after the shot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.