Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thread on cleaning got me to thinking about some of the odd little things I do to keep my field and range bags well-organized. My advice, though it may sound weird, is to check out the ladies cosmetics section at the Walgreens or Target. :!:

Got all kinds of rods, snakes, Bore Runners, Tico Tools, chamber brushes, dowel rods, cordless drill, etc. at home. But, believe it or not, my traveling cleaning kit is contained in a clear cosmetics pouch from makeup section of the Target. Within it I use small zip-seal bags for brushes, jags, mops, small bottles of solvent and oils, etc. Takedown rod from ProShot fits in bottom. Can handle any of the gauges and it's still pretty compact. A somewhat similar kit stays in a cheap shaving kit behind the rear seat of the truck. It's there always, just in case I've forgotten something.

In the front pouch of my field bag, I've got a black mesh pouch from the Walgreens that all my pocket gear (lighter, pocket knife, pen, Leatherman, whistle on lanyard, bandanna and clip-to-belt spare keys) goes in. Night before, I take the gear out of the pouch, return pouch to bag and lay the gear out neatly next to the clothes. End of day, put all the pocket gear back in the pouch before I make the outbound drive.

Another little makeup pouch, solid black execept for a pink tag :oops: holds small bits of spare gear, such as bird knife with gut hook, small sharpening stone, etc. I've also found little useful little bottles in the trial size/travel size aisle at the Target. One little 3-ounce job is a perfect little spray mister for Clenzoil.

Another of my favorite finds: Cheap flannel-lined mocs from the Kmart. They carry flat in the bag, but are great for the drive home.

I'm a be ready/be organized freak, I guess. I step out of the truck, my vest is preloaded (shells, first aid kit, water bottles). Hang up the cap and warmie vest I'm wearing, put on the bird vest and do my gloves and cap (pulled from the front-load slots on the vest) and I'm geared up. Slide gun from case, and I'm ready to hunt. Once out of the truck, I want to hunt or socialize, not dilly-dally with my gear,

I also keep photocopy of my drivers license, hunting license and FOID in a sealed Ziplock in the bag ... in case I should ever lose my wallet while hunting. Probably nothing "official" but they might convince an LEO that you are who say you are and have simply lost your wallet in the field.

Anyone else got odd little finds that make organization and traveling a bit easier?

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
The only travelling I've done with a gun is to a skeet shoot, where cleaning supplies are generally not an issue (if you HAVE to have them, a club often has them or you can find someone there who is local who brought their bench with them from home).

On that line, though, my suggestion for travelling is the TuffPak. Break your gun down (or not if you buy the long one), stick it in the soft case and put the soft case in the tuffpak. And your range bag, and anything else you can fit in there. That's the greatest idea since sliced bread, IMO.

Of course, this is for flying. If you're driving, space isn't as much of an issue, is it?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When driving, I like to keep it to one bag for hunting, plus my vest or jacket pulled through the handle loops and, of course, a thermos. Pretty much the same if I'm going to the club, minus the coffee (can get it at the club). I also like to take no more than two guns at a time ... both in a Beretta "fatboy" soft case.

This is probably because I have to completely off-load the truck at day's end. In my neighborhood, I won't leave any guns or shells in the truck. Off-street parking, but no garage, and there are actual bangers about. Such is life ... but at least it gave me the incentive to buy a quality safe.

However, if I'm meeting my brother and his son and some of the son's friends for pasture trap, I'll put three or four flats and a few guns in the truck and make sure I have extra ear protection and glasses. Any unshot shells, I like to "dump" on my brother. I don't want to carry the things back up the stairs. Plus, he buys the claybirds and will rarely accept cash from me, so I like to buy the shells if he'll let me. His son is pretty good with a Model 42, and the young man and I get along well, so I make sure to contribute a flat of .410s to my bro's shell stock every now and then.

Have to keep my bro & family happy ... he takes me hunting over his Lews, and his wife cooks a hell of a meal, too! :D

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have several of the plastic ammo boxes (by plano), one for each firearm, then one for cleaning.
Also, each firearm has a hard case with a rod in it along with any special tools for the firearm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts