Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to save some $ if possible by buying in bulk and using the same powder for both shotgun and 45.

The shotgun load is currently:
Win209 Primer
17.5gr Red Dot
CB1100-12 Wad (or equiv)
1oz #8 shot

45 ACP load:
230gr Round Nose Lead or FMJ/TMJ
? Powder
? Primer

Would like to have something that works like what I have now in the shotgun, with providing some economy of scale with the 45. Anybody else doing this?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
There are .45ACP loads for Red Dot.

If, for some reason, you don't want to use Red Dot for the .45, take a look at Hodgdon Clays. Great powder for 12ga target loads. It's very clean and consistent. I don't have any experience loading it into .45, though as I do not reload metallic.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Quite a number of the powders are suitable for both, including Red Dot and Green Dot as well as the Hodgdon Clays powders. Just check the load data on the powder manufacturers websites and find some that will work.

I have used all of the above for both. Watch out with flake powders like Unique in the very light loads as it meters inconsistantly when throwing very light loads like for .38 Special.

The shotgun powder selected will more critical than the 45 ACP as the shotgun powder has to occupy a certain amount of space within cartridge to fit with the wad selected and crimp properly. The .45 ACP will nowhere near occupy the internal capacity so whatever groups best in your gun at the speed you want will work.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
While they can be used in the .45 ACP, Red Dot and Clays are too fast burning to get good ballistics with 230 gr. bullets -- either lead or jacketed. Titegroup is about the fastest burning propellant useable with 230 gr. bullets while obtaining reasonably decent ballistics. From 4.0 to 4.8 grs. of Titegroup will get you somewhere around 750 to 850 fps with 230 gr. lead bullets and a little less than that with jacketed bullets. Personally I don't care much for this kind of load because it does not come anywhere close to filling the case to the base of the bullet. Almost any large pistol primer will work, but I prefer the Federal 150.

17 grs. or so of Titegroup will get you right around 1200 fps in the AA hull with 1 ounce of shot, WAA12SL wad, and the Win. 209 primer.

International or Green Dot is also a good candidate. Around 5.4 grs. of either in the .45 ACP with the 230 gr. bullet will get you around 845 fps with about any jacketed bullet, but you probably ought to cut that to around 5.2 grs. if you are using a lead bullet.

Likewise somewhere around 19.5 grs. will get you around 1200 fps given the 12 gauge combination I mentioned above.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Bullseye will also do both. I called Alliant for the 12g load. The 7/8 ounce use 16.5 grains and the one ounce use 17 grains. There are plenty of recipes for the 45ACP and Bullseye available.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Both Bulleye and AA #2 will get you there.

I've had good experience with Win231, 5.3grs, 200grs SWC in 5" 1911.

Federal or Win large pistol primer will do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts