Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I just received my FN SLP and it comes with 2 gas pistons. One is for a load weight of less than 1 1/2 oz., the other is for 1 1/2 oz. and more. It is chambered for 2 3/4 to 3 " magnum. On my boxes of 00 buck in 2 3/4, it says 3 dr eq, but nothing about load weight. On my boxes of #4 buck, all it says is 2 3/4 inch magnum; On the boxes of 3 inch magnum 000bk shells it says 4 dr eq; and on my boxes of 3 inch shells with 00 buck, it says nothing. Can someone please explain to me how I know which gas pistons to use when using these? Also, on my boxes of 3 inch shells with 1 oz slugs, does the 1 oz mean it is less than 1 1/2 oz even though it is in a 3 inch shell and it would be ok to use the lighter piston with those? ---Thank you very much for any help you can offer. --Tim

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Surely it says something about weight somewhere, or may say how many pellets are in that load and figure it that way.

Regardless, I would put the heavy (over 1 1/2) piston in and see if it works for the 3 dram load, and heavy 1 ounce slug load, I would bet it works for the others.

It's just to keep the bolt speed down by not allowing too much gas to the piston, to keep from hurting the gun for long term life.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I think I found the answer to the load weights for everything except for the two following boxes.....The first box is 12 ***** buckshot, 2 3/4 inch, 3 dram eq, 9 pellets, 00 buck. The last box is 12 ***** 2 3/4 inch 1 oz slug maximum ....If someone could please let me know if these load weights are less than 1 1/2oz, I would be very appreciative. Thanks again. --Tim

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I don't think either would fall under the catagory of the heavier piston, though velocity is another factor involved. Some things just aren't "by the written word", I think you need to try the heavy piston on each shell, which it doesn't cycle is the one you need to change pistons on.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
I agree with Steve, start with the heavy piston. Slug and buckshot loads are considered to be very heavy duty loads (except for reduced recoil loads) and can put a lot of wear on a gun if the incorrect piston is used. If the rounds don't cycle, try the light one but I'd wager it won't be needed.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
sloppy,
I get the impression you're missing something here. Your load weight is the weight of the shot charge or projectile. Dram equiv. is basically an idea as to what velocity you could expect were the cartridge loaded with black powder.
Your 1oz. slug is just that, a 1oz. load weight. However, I agree with the above, try the heavy set up first.
Luck,
Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. Thank you for the help. I will put in the heavier piston first, then run some shells that i know are heavier than 1 1/2 oz. and then see if it will cycle the two in question after the gun is a little more broken in. Thank you. --Tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. Thank you for the help. I will put in the heavier piston first, then run some shells that i know are heavier than 1 1/2 oz. and then see if it will cycle the two in question after the gun is a little more broken in. Thank you. --Tim

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
00 buck pellets weigh about 1/8 ounce, so your 9 pellet load would be about 1 1/8 ounce. The magnum 00 loads have 12 pellets, making them about 1 1/2.

If your 9 pellet 00 load reads 3 Drams... that's "about" 1200 fps.

Use the link listed "Shell Info" at the top of the page and take a look.... it'll give you a pretty good basic understanding of weights and sizes, etc.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts