Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for load data for red dot and e³ powders for a 1.25oz (35g) slug using Fiocchi plastic 2¾ shells. Is there anyone who may have info on this data or where I may locate it, Alliant gives me info for paper shells but I am unable too locate info for the plastic shells. Thank you for you help!

Nail Gas Terrestrial plant Circle Thumb
Toy Gas Toy block Auto part Magenta

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Manufacturers of powder don't commonly publish loads for fast burning powders in 12 gauge slug loads, because of slower muzzle velocities than more suitable powders (Blue Dot, Longshot, etc) can yield. Those companies are driven by most of their customer base to launch slugs as fast as possible for flatter trajectories at maximum distance (even if it is only 100 yards). It will be a tough search. Going the conventional route with slower burning powders in shotshell loads will be easier. Shotshell "load workup" by starting with low pressures and working upward just doesn't work well, it's much different than what can be done safely in cartridge loads.

good luck, garrisonjoe

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree that using Red Dot, and other fast burning powders are not the way to go with slugs. Pressures get too high before significant velocity is achieved. If you are satisfied with 1000 fps, or less, you might get away with using those powders. Realisticly, most shooters want to get as much velocity as they can, for hunting situations. Personally, I like Blue Dot powder, with the .735 round ball.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
1 1/4 ounce payload is beyond the safe operating pressure of the powders you list. There is low recoil data for 7/8,1,1 1/8 oz. using red dot.

·
Registered
137 Posts
One of the few sources of load data for slugs comes from BPI........

You can order a paper version mailed to you, or pay to download the electronic version......then view or print that.

Most of the BPI data is for the slugs they sell. If the slug you show is not one of theirs, it may not have data for it.

For most slugs......and LEE in particular............the load data runs toward a pretty hot load. LEE load data has velocities running in the 1550 fps range. To get there, they are using slow burning powders like HS6, Herco, etc. If that is your goal for your heavier slug, it's gonna need these slow powders to stay out of pressure problems.

If you are OK with backing the velocities down to normal shotgun load ranges, lkie 1,150, 1200 to 1300, then mid speed powders like Green Dot or International can be used. I'm even using those for the 7/8 oz LEE slugs.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The BPI Slug and Field manual, 8th Edition, won't be of direct help for you. They list no Fiocchi hull 12 gauge slug loads, they don't list any 1 1/4 ounce slug loads at all, and only a very small number of Red Dot powder 12 gauge slug loads with light slugs (and slow velocities). And no data using e3 powder. So if you were thinking of buying a copy of THAT manual, don't bother.

You will need to identify those two slugs more precisely to be able to find load data for them. They don't look like any 12 gauge slug available from BPI, and none of the slugs from Precision Reloading either. If you can identify the slug manufacturer, then contacting them is the best starting point to find suitable loading data for either of those slugs.

good luck, garrisonjoe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts