Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yah, you can do it, but you'll be disappointed in the little poopie noise it makes. Also I'd be sure the bore is clear after each one of these is fired.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Without a back pressure of shot, you will find the the powder will not burn well. Always make sure to check that the wad clears the barrel before the next shot.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
218 Posts
Do a search online for Blank recipes or contact powder manufacturers. To make good blanks you will need to full the case with something like flour and use a faster powder. I once read you need 80# of pressure before you will hear more than a pop. I know rifle blanks can be made with a fast pistol powder and cream of wheat. I don't know if the same will work for shotguns but the powder manufacturers should.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made mine with 18.4grains of Red dot, normal wad pressure, and crimped the top down as normal. I may try some flour or something in them today. I was unable to find any recipes online, way too many junk matches.

G

·
a gun smith loads 12ga shotgun shells fills em with
2f or 3 f black powder
and puts a card board wad over the top of the powder
so it does not leak out

i shot some of his blanks
thay are super loud
sounds more like a cannon than a shot gun

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Do you crimp it or leave the shell open? I assume that you only pull the handle half way down so the crimp doesn't fall in :? Am I correct?

G

·
clayshooter25/25 said:
Do you crimp it or leave the shell open? I assume that you only pull the handle half way down so the crimp doesn't fall in :? Am I correct?
fill up the shot gun shell with black powder leave a knofe
room for a card board wad over the powder i use the same wad as an over shot wad and i crimp it the same way as i would be loading lead shot in the shell

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Furner said:
I made mine with 18.4grains of Red dot, normal wad pressure, and crimped the top down as normal. I may try some flour or something in them today. I was unable to find any recipes online, way too many junk matches.
I was asking how he made the crimp on this load.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I load my own blanks for dog training, and they are loud enough to get the dog's attention. They are also too loud to shoot in town on the 4th of July. I use
Case: Federal Plastic with paper base wad
Primer: CCI 209
Powder: 25 grs. of Alcan AL-7
Wad column: one .200 Nitro Card, four ½" Felt, one .200 Nitro Card
Add the wads one or two at a time and use at least 50 lbs. of wad pressure.
The key is to make sure you get a tight wad column and a good crimp.
I have not had any problems with the wad sticking in the tubes of the SxS I shoot. But I always check because I can with a SxS.
According to the Speer Number 9 reloading manual Alcan AL-7 powder has a burn rate between HS-5 and HS-6. It reads, HS-5, Alcan AL-7, HS-6.
This should give you a pretty loud bang. But if you want that start of a race canon sound and the smoke too, go with a black powder blank, they are truly a real show.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry I forgot to mention this, but most of you already know. Alcan Powder has not been made for over twenty years. That is why I listed the burn rate. I would use any powder that is in the burn rate range of HS-5 and HS-6. You can buy the wads at Ballistic Products or Precision Reloading. Also Ballistic Products has a Loading bulletin on reloading blanks. Have fun.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
What do those Winchester blanks have in them instead of the shot charge?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.