Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I just use a standard 7/8oz or 1oz trap/skeet load at 1200-1250fps. Only change I make is the shot size. I use #6. If you have to go get any different components your better off with the load Case suggested. Thats if your huting Cottain Tails. I noticed that your from TO so if your hunting Jacks any 1250fps+ 1 3/8oz loads of #4 will work. I've loaded and shot alot of those. If you need spefic data let me know.

Tim

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
It doesn't take much for a rabbit, unless he is at 50+ yards, as suggested I would just buy the promos, or load any basic shell with 6's to cover all distances. Cottontails? Anything will work.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
In my part of Texas, growing up, a 20 ga with 7/8 oz of 8 would kill a cotton out to normal ranges with ease. Handy for jacks a closer ranges, too, if you see one sittin. We'd taste a few rabbits every now and again while quail hunting. I leave them sitting now, as they don't taste good to me. :shock: On the more dedicated rabbit hunts I've done in Virginia, I've used 1 oz of 6, sometimes 1 1/8 of 7.5. Seems to do the trick, both loads. A little thicker cover up here in Va than in the plains of West Texas. Sadly, no jacks. I remember a time, as well, shooting cottons at night, with a .22lr, in the head. Man, that was a lot to clean, three of us killed about 20 rabbits. We had fried rabbit, rabbit stew, and grilled rabbit for weeks! Great fun, too, to try them with a Ruger single six at pistol ranges.

TAB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.