Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm seeking some info/reviews. Currently have a cheap shooting pouch as well as vest and I'm looking to upgrade.

Anyone have the firm double deluxe pouch? Is it massively big? I like the exterior pocket and some of the features but I don't want something massive hanging off my hip. It appears from the photos to be very large but looks can be deceiving.

Lastly how is the belts measured? Is it from the hole you use to the end of the leather? From end of buckle to hole? Total length? Unsure which size to get. I'm a larger guy so it would probably be the upper end. Just don't want to have to send a belt back because I got the wrong size.

Thanks for any help/input

Michael.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hello, I have 2 of Lonesome Charlies pouches. I mainly shoot skeet and the smaller pouch is perfect but it will not hold 50 12ga shells and have room for empty hulls. I use the larger deluxe model for sporting clays and double trap. Both pouches are of excellent quality and will last a lifetime. My 1st Lonesome Charlie pouch is about 15 yrs old and still looks great.I do treat them both with needs feet oil about 2 times a year. Call them and ask about the belt loop since they do make them to order. Last year they made me one with an engraving pattern that they have not used in many years (oak leaf w/clay target). Mike

·
Registered
24,443 Posts
I have one with the velcro belt I'll sell you. PM me if interested for pics and info. Wife bought it to use and never did.

ADDED - and she just sold it recently on Ebay.............

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
msmith said:
Hello, I have 2 of Lonesome Charlies pouches. I mainly shoot skeet and the smaller pouch is perfect but it will not hold 50 12ga shells and have room for empty hulls. I use the larger deluxe model for sporting clays and double trap. Both pouches are of excellent quality and will last a lifetime. My 1st Lonesome Charlie pouch is about 15 yrs old and still looks great.I do treat them both with needs feet oil about 2 times a year. Call them and ask about the belt loop since they do make them to order. Last year they made me one with an engraving pattern that they have not used in many years (oak leaf w/clay target). Mike
99% of what I Shoot is skeet. I'm thinking the pouch I'm looking it is to large.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I have the rounded, (spanish style) pouch with internal divider, shown with a box of 12ga shells. I move my emptys to the vacant side as I shoot.

Im also bigger so I ordered my belt oversized on purpose and ended up punching an extra hole where needed. I carry a few extra shells and the loop holder keeps the longer belt end from flapping around.

I have never regretted ordering the pouch and belt. Very high quality work.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Y-Hound:

Really bad idea to carry both 12-ga and 20-ga shells simultaneously. That's an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the Lonesome Charlie #144 soft leather double pouch with front pocket. I do not find it too large at all. The quality is excellent.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning the larger firm deluxe. Probably bigger then I need on the skeet field.

Anyone know how lonesome Charlie measures their belts?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
OldSkeeter said:
Y-Hound:

Really bad idea to carry both 12-ga and 20-ga shells simultaneously. That's an accident waiting to happen.
Thanks, but I only carry extras for the gauge I'm shooting at the time.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Y-Hound said:
OldSkeeter said:
Y-Hound:

Good plan! Thanks for the update.

{hs#

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
I have three Lonesome Charlie pouches, including the #120 Firm Double Deluxe Pouch and I don't find it to be "massively big." It works well for me on the skeet field. Charlie will build you one without the side pocket if you ask him. I talked to him about doing just that last September at the skeet World Shoot. Removing the side pocket would make the pouch look a bit trimmer.

I also like the #143 soft leather double pouch. It works well and is certainly not "massively big."

Charlie produces very nice stuff.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After seeing three pouches that friends at my club use I'm leaning toward the #143 soft larger double pouch. I think this is the perfect size and being soft doesn't stick way off the hip.

Three members had the two I was considering (#120 and #142) and another had #143 which I wasn't considering at all.

Now I just need to call and find out exactly how they measure their belts.

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OldSkeeter said:
I have three Lonesome Charlie pouches, including the #120 Firm Double Deluxe Pouch and I don't find it to be "massively big." It works well for me on the skeet field. Charlie will build you one without the side pocket if you ask him. I talked to him about doing just that last September at the skeet World Shoot. Removing the side pocket would make the pouch look a bit trimmer.

I also like the #143 soft leather double pouch. It works well and is certainly not "massively big."

What is the third pouch you have?

Out of the three which one is your favorite?

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
I use a #142, while it is not a small pouch, it is not overly large.
It works well for me in both Skeet and Sporting Clays.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
schlarmanm1 said:
OldSkeeter said:

The third pouch is a #154; pretty much a #143 without the front pocket.

Hard to decide which is my "favorite." I use them all, and they are all good. The reason for having different pouches is primarily cosmetic. I like the looks of the carving on the #120; the #143 is a little plainer but has the pocket for storage and the #153 has the clean, trim look.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OldSkeeter said:
schlarmanm1 said:
OldSkeeter said:

The third pouch is a #154; pretty much a #143 without the front pocket.

Hard to decide which is my "favorite." I use them all, and they are all good. The reason for having different pouches is primarily cosmetic. I like the looks of the carving on the #120; the #143 is a little plainer but has the pocket for storage and the #153 has the clean, trim look.
Thanks old skeeter!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Y-Hound said:
OldSkeeter said:
Y-Hound:

Your picture does show 12 and 20 gauge shells in the extra shell loops. I am sure that is just for demonstration purposes but I am glad OldSkeeter pointed it out. I don't think you can remind us too much of the dangers of mixing 12 and 20 gauge shells.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts