Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there done this??? Did it improve anything??? I have seen it written somewhere on this website that it would enhance accuracy which of course could be true. Weatherby rifles have what they call "freebore" to ease recoil and they are certainly accurate enough rifles but generally dont most rifles shoot more accurate with the bullet either touching or just off the lands??? I realize this is a shotgun not a rifle and you cant really seat the slug to touch but..... any thoughts on this issue. Thanks in advance for replies.

·
Registered
649 Posts
You don't want a long forcing cone on a good slug gun, a minimal forcing cone is better. I just had a custom minimum tolerance reamer made for slug guns only. It has a leade, but no forcing cone. The longer the cone, the easier it is for the slug to be missaligned before hitting the rifling.
Greg

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Did it help? In a word yes. It did drop the reference fps down about 10-20fps. Recoil reduced. I BELIEVE that the round becomes more centered in the bore when this is done. Especially if the chamber and bore are done in two separate operations. Yes, a pilot helps but is not absolute. I don't even think even the USH is done in one operation.

On some guns it won't make any difference at all since the quality of equipment (rifled bore) is average.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with both of you guys and see your points but that dont help me much in this case{story of my life}. This reamer you had made must be for one length hull only. My barrel, like many other aftermarket sluggers is 3" but I am shooting 2 3/4" hammerhead reloads which automatically means my slug has a 1/2 inch run at the rifling already. I guess I could use 3" hulls and just place filler cards behind the SPW wad to bring it out. Dont really care too much about the recoil reduction with this gun because I have a Knoxx Spec-ops stock...normally this would be a major concern. Curious about the reamer...typically what group improvements do you see in a gun cut with a chamber that affords the shortest possible run compared to a factory chamber and then compared to a long forcing cone??? Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
What you are asking for likely has not been done.
If it has been done no one is publishing that kind of information that I can find.
Think about it.
You're asking for someone to go thru the expense of cutting a chamber different in brand X gun and shoot side by side comparisons with a factory brand X gun with all kinds of different ammo to determine if there is a difference in accuracy.
Pretty time consuming and expensive propositions.
Maybe Tar-Hunt has done something like this but I've not run across any public results.
I do have an 870 smoothie 20" with good fiber optic sights with the forcing cone made longer but that was done specifically for patterns with larger bird shot and buck.
Does it work? Yes, for shot. It seems accurate enough with Winchester fosters but I have not yet tested this altered barrel with slugs for accuracy yet.
I would think the expense of the tests you are inquiring about could be done cheaply enough with two USH rifled 12 bores each equiped with the same scope and shot with the same ammo at the same distances.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definately not asking anyone to "go thru" any expense at all. Cost nothing to say it if you did it...if you tried than good and if dont want to relay info then that's good too, keep it to yourself. It seems with slug guns some of the simplest things that could maybe possibly be an improvement are not ringing a bell with many people that manufacture or produce components or complete guns. Here's a for instance...why cant you buy a replacement slug barrel with no sights{because the vast majority of users have/want a scope} and no cantilever mount because many users dont like/want to be stuck using this set-up??? I realize its a quick and cheap way but might not be the most effective. Brownell's, the largest gunsmith supply house around stopped carrying Hastings barrels a couple years ago and tried Mossbergs which they had to drop for lack of sales last year. Yet more and more areas are going to slug only deer hunting????? Only Badger/American Barrel Co. has done anything new{faster twist for the newer sabots} in what the last ten years or more??? The big seller gun companys have left this door wide open, only a few have special slug guns that are different than the usual and you dont see many of them...maybe there aren't as many slug hunters as I thoought???

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
All manufacturing operations everywhere are driven by cost vs. profit.
It costs a lot of money to stop a modern production line and change tooling for something different.
Many things have been changed/altered in the private sector and accepted by the public before the product manufacturer made the necessary production changes to compliment the customers desires.
Many items are never adopted by manufacturer(s) due to cost vs. projected profits.
You and I would follow the same thinking were we in charge of a manufacturing facility.
How long did it take before the .357 mag and .44 mag ctgs. were introduced as legitimate factory rounds with guns available?
Many long years private and knowledgable loaders were making do with home brew.
Look at the failures in just the firearms industry.
The Remington .20 rimfire, the Daisy caseless ammo and rifle, light years ahead of it's time, the .256 Winchster, .225 Winchester, the 7-30 Waters and on and on.
I suspect the 3.5" 20 gauge magnum will go the way of the doh-doh bird too.
What exists sells well. Hi velocity sabots that don't do well in the majority of switch barrel guns still sell.
Not sure why. Hell I'm guilty of trying everything new also. :(
How long has the Tar-Hunt bolt action been chugging along untill a manufacturer was finally convinced there was enough market (Savage) to justify tooling and set up?
Personally I'm a big bore fan.
A personal thing. I love the .45 Colt, and .44 mag, the .45-70, think the little 30-30 is still the most overlooked and under rated ctg. that has survived over 100 years and still believe the 12 bore should be used like a .73 caliber rifle.
I've taken well over 50 Ohio whitetail and almost all of them with the smoothie and foster.
Damage and tissue destruciton is awesome.
I've had and taken the opportunity to help a buddy that did commercial processing of domestic stock.
He did venison during s.g. season.
I saw the effects of many HUNDREDS of deer kills with shotguns.
.73 caliber slugs rule. Period.
But, as with anything, you have to put the bullet where it needs to go.
That requires effort on the part of the hunter/shooter no matter what equipment is chosen for the task.
You don't happen to have a USH you want to alter do ya?
:D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, had one and sold it. Big mistake. I have a 12ga Benelli M2 slug gun and this 870 12ga I am working on now. I will try it with the barrel as is {forcing cone wise} and if it shoots decent groups I will leave it alone. If it dont I will try the extended cone...at that point I got nothing to lose, already unsoldered the cantilever mount and parkerized the barrel so I cant return it. Did a long cone in a 870 20ga rifled barrel slugger a few weeks back for a lady that wanted to reduce recoil and it certainly did. Did not affect the accuracy at all, not that it couldn't have and she was advised but there was no change. The gun actually shot pretty good. Gotta agree that the 12ga slug is it...I like Buckhammer or Hammerhead type slugs for destruction. I dont care how bad the animal or man thinks he is, when that thing hits it is over. He might walk, but it wont be far. I also think that the police will start to look at modern accurate slug guns again. Many Police Dept.'s got away from the shotgun and buckshot in favor of AR-15's but when enough innocent bystanders get hit with stray bullets I believe the police will reconsider. I agree the 223 will penetrate most of todays body armor but I cant see anyone getting up and resisting after a 12 ga slug hits them even if it dont get thru.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Do you work on shotguns?
Forcing cones and such?
Curious. If you took the cantalever off to parkerize a barrel can you simple resoldier it back in place?
I agree with the police and the s.g.
We have some truly awesome "bullet" loads for the s.g. that put it another class than they were 20 years ago.
You're right about body armor and the slug. A close range hit in the center of the chest with a 12 bore slug may not penetrate but the blunt force trauma alone can kill.
If not it sure would buy a copper enough time to get more creative. :D
Headshots using slugs, smoothbore guns, and good rifle sights are EASY at 25 yards.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
jeager106 said:
How long has the Tar-Hunt bolt action been chugging along untill a manufacturer was finally convinced there was enough market (Savage) to justify tooling and set up?
Not long at all....

The very first Tar-Hunt wasn't even produced until 1991, (and that gun was a "prototype' that doesn't even look anything like the gun produced today)...Less than five years later Savage not only had all of the tooling in place, it was already producing complete Savage 210's which hit the shelves in 1997.....Not to mention the fact that Browning, Mossberg, and Marlin also had production lines up and runing with in a few years of the introduction of the first Tar-Hunt....

JC

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jaeger106, Yes I've been workin' on guns for quite some time. I also blue and colorcase and checker, general restoration and build some rifles too. Had a stock duplicator, but when I finally went thru all the wood I had a guy in Pa. offered me a good price for it. That coupled with a new son and daughter all got me out of the duplicating bussiness.
You cant solder to a parkerized surface, it wont stick and actually the Badger cantilever base was brazed on but that wont stick either unless you have bare clean fluxed metal. I didn't put it back on, I wanted a clean barrel as I used the Da-Mar base and did the screw thing to the barrel. I also added three set screws to the magazine tube ring on the barrel to lock it down tight up front and got a Knoxx spec-ops stock. I did a trigger job and used those anti-walk trigger pins. I had some time on my hands and alittle spare cash... just wanted to see how good I could get an 870 to throw slugs. Tomorrow I will find out. I have a Benelli M2 slugger and am very happy with the way it shoots my Hammerhead reloads so I guess I got no business trying this experiment but you know what they say "dont ever give a hillbilly spare money!!"
A human head shot with a slug, now there's a good though for criminal rehab.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Inquiring minds need to know.
How well did you get the 870 to shoot slugs?
What kind of groups are you getting with the Hammerhead?
I get 3 to 4" groups at 125 with the Hastings version of the SPW but so far my handloads flat suck!
Any ehlp you could offer would be deeply appreciated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
???"level of accuracy with a Knoxx stock"??? Not sure what you mean there pal??? Didnt know a stock could improve it. You sound like it will hurt the accuracy, what happened when you fired yours??? I didn't install the stock to try and improve accuracy. I bought it to improve the way my shoulder feels after an hour and a half of sending buckhammers and other slugs downrange. I havn't fired the gun with it installed yet and am looking forward to finding out if it really works as good as they say. On the Knoxx website they show a short clip of a lady who backs her shoulder up against a pole, loads a 3" magnum slug in the gun and fires it...she then looks at the camera and smiles and says "no problem!!" However, they dont really show them hitting anything with it...is there an accuracy problem related to the stock??? When did you get yours???

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shot the gun Sunday afternoon. Several 2 to 2 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards and a nice 4 incher at 150. Fired a total of 28 rounds and my shoulder didn't feel a thing!!! Very happy with the way this shotgun throws slugs. Will try it next with some new hi speed sabots, this was just my own reloads.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
What I expected. My brother's smoothbore 870 turned into a tack driver with fosters after the knoxx was added. I suspect the recoil being able to drive straight back while the slug is exiting the barrel is the main reason, and it's a dream to shoot now, very easy on the shoulder. Not so easy on the eyes, but hey, you can't argue with what works, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts