Shotgun Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I got my hands on some Longshot powder, and I went to Hodgdon's website looking at the recipes for 12 gauge. I see it listed for 1 1/8 oz. loads and heavier. Has anyone used it for payloads lighter than 1 1/8 oz.? I was thinking that you could achive phenominal speeds IF the powder will burn completely under lighter loads.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Its not a good idea - to make up unpublished loads ....

No, for 1 oz loads / if for some reason you want them fast ( and you might find they don't pattern better - when you push them faster ) - but Hodgond Intl and TiteGroup both have published loads at 1345 fps ...

but if you're into absorbing recoil - I see Longshot at 1 1/8 oz loads in the book at 1585 fps ( and good luck to you ) ...I hope it doesn't cause a flinch. I'm just a recoil pussie at 6'5" and only 290 lbs ......just not man enough to stand there with 6 or 8 boxes of Nitro loads of 1 1/8 oz at 1300 fps all day long ...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BigJimP said:
Its not a good idea - to make up unpublished loads ....

No, for 1 oz loads / if for some reason you want them fast ( and you might find they don't pattern better - when you push them faster ) - but Hodgond Intl and TiteGroup both have published loads at 1345 fps ...

but if you're into absorbing recoil - I see Longshot at 1 1/8 oz loads in the book at 1585 fps ( and good luck to you ) ...I hope it doesn't cause a flinch. I'm just a recoil pussie at 6'5" and only 290 lbs ......just not man enough to stand there with 6 or 8 boxes of Nitro loads of 1 1/8 oz at 1300 fps all day long ...
So I take it your real answer is "No, I have not tried Longshot for one ounce payloads"? I don't need any safety lectures or unrelated opinions. I just want to know if this has been done already. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
/

So I take it your real answer is "No, I have not tried Longshot for one ounce payloads"? I don't need any safety lectures or unrelated opinions. I just want to know if this has been done already. Thank you.----------scrugneysgundogs

It wasn't intended to be a lecture; but this forum is perhaps more conservative when it comes to safety issues than other forums.

All BigJimP said was:

Its not a good idea - to make up unpublished loads ....-----BigJimP

With the provision that one can send a sample to a lab for testing, few people here want to see too much improvisation by way of personal experimentation. I think it is safe to say that the forum in general is very responsible in that.

You can go here and find a recipe to follow.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

/ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

/ :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Because when indicate you are pursuing phenominal speeds

.....it more or less goes beyond the bounds of SAFE SPEEDS, wouldn't you think?

I mean, come on.....

/

/

/

/

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
This got me thinking. For a super-fast load I was gonna try 1/4 oz loads, since my 7/8 oz loads worked so well. Guess if I flipped the wad around, what used to be over-powder cup would become the shot cup and would hold about 1/4 oz. So now I can get about 80 grains of E-3 under it. With the light load there shouldn't be extreme pressure build up and the load would just ride the flame front. That flame front is in excess of 40,000 fps for nitrocellulose. So maybe I can get the lead to go hypersonic and become molten from air friction and kinda be shooting down birds with a lead plasma round. Do you think I should use Fed 209As for a clean burn?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"How many forum members does it take to make a reload?

1 to make the reload and 1 to post that the reload has been made

14 to share similar experiences of making reloads and how the reload could have been made differently

7 to caution about the dangers of making reloads

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about making reloads

53 to flame the spell checkers

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "re-load" or "reload"

... another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "shotshell"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "reload" is perfectly correct

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"

109 to post that this forum is not about reloads and to please take this discussion to a shotshell forum

203 to demand that cross posting to shotgun forum, off-topic forum, and shotshell forum about making reloads be stopped

111 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use reloads and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

306 to debate which method of making reloads is superior, where to buy the best reloads, what brand of reloads work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different reloads

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes reloads relevant to this group

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the reload controversy

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"

4 to suggest that posters request the reload FAQ

44 to ask what is a "FAQ"

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on reloads before posting questions about reloads"

1 new forum member to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again."

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Ya know scroungeysgundogs, I think you might'a found the wrong forum for you. You might want to consider moving on and look for something more to your liking!

Not too many of us here will be all that heartbroken over it!

BP

·
Registered
38 Posts
Scrugneysgundogs, I may be missing something, but you seem to want a recipe that no one else is interested in at the moment. Or perhaps if anyone has such a recipe, they choose not to share such an item in the interest of avoiding potential liability.

To complete your ridicule of the members of this forum, perhaps when you solve your problem you will post your recipe? Or would you also need the entourage you've mentioned?

·
Administrator
23,925 Posts
When folks show up and act like they have a chip on their shoulder, many of those who are normally inclined to help, lose interest and do not.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This thread would be deleted already if I could find a delete button! After the third post I asked the moderator to delete the thread. Maybe it will be gone tomorrow?

Since I'm on a roll anyway,
It was just a simple question asking if it's been done before. I didn't ask for unpublished or homebrew off-the-cuff recipes. I didn't even say I'd try to do it. I just asked if it had been done.

Just because Hodgdon didn't publish any recipes doesn't mean that there aren't any. Sometimes Ballistic Products or one of the other labs have separate publications.

·
Administrator
23,925 Posts
scrugneysgundogs said:
This thread would be deleted already if I could find a delete button! After the third post I asked the moderator to delete the thread. Maybe it will be gone tomorrow?

Trying to remove the evidence?

Since I'm on a roll anyway,
It was just a simple question asking if it's been done before. I didn't ask for unpublished or homebrew off-the-cuff recipes. I didn't even say I'd try to do it. I just asked if it had been done.Who knows if it has ever been done, Take a load for 1 1/8 OZ and swap wads and make it 1 OZ, evaluate the performance. Report your findings, contribute something useful to the forum, like a lot of other folks. That is what makes this forum nice. Friendly folks that are trying to help other friendly folks.

Just because Hodgdon didn't publish any recipes doesn't mean that there aren't any. Sometimes Ballistic Products or one of the other labs have separate publications.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.