Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an old Stevens side by side in my local gun shop for $200. Looks to be in decent shape. They also have a beat up 90 year old L. C. Smith side by side for $400. What are some thing to consider and look for in these 2 guns?
Thanks for any help in this one. R. Edward

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well, there's an awful lot to sxs buying. The Stevens is a reliable utility double if its in good working order. 200 sounds low to me--I'd try to find out what's wrong with it. The LC is a little more tricky. Some LC's are quite valuable, but you need to make sure both of these guns are actually safe to shoot. Just looking down the bore and checking the lockup might be ok on the Stevens, but I'd ask to leave a deposit and have the LC Smith looked at by an independent gunsmith (not some gun salesman, a real gunsmith who does professional gunsmithing full time).

My own experience is that if the gunshop has been there, under the same ownership, for several years, the owner is going to give you solid info. Listen to him, but you're on somewhat thin ice with old doubles.

Good luck, and do come back and let us know how it comes out?

Best,

Jeff23

1 - 2 of 2 Posts