Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying an I-12. Could someone give me the Pros/Cons?
I read about the cycling problem and wondered if after break in period it would still be good to use for sporting clays.

Also if you have anyone interested in selling on please let me know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
AuburnTigerGuy said:
Looking at buying an I-12. Could someone give me the Pros/Cons?
I read about the cycling problem and wondered if after break in period it would still be good to use for sporting clays.

Also if you have anyone interested in selling on please let me know.
I bought the I 12 Limited about a year ago. I'm very happy with it. I only shoot SC and Skeet. Once in a while it won't feed 2nd shell up but if I clean up the receiver inside it seem to go away. Any semi will miss abeat on occasion. I found the gun to be a bit light for my taste (7.0 lbs) so I fabricated a weight that goes in the magazine tube (13.5 oz) and it made it much smoother swing. I can email photo of weight if you IM. It will cylce 1oz Remi Game Loads.

regguy

·
Registered
11,366 Posts
I have never fired an I-12. I can give you a reference. Gun Tests Magazine in their October 2006 issue made comparisons between the I-12 and the Stoeger 2000. The I-12 was a "Do not buy" due to jamming and the bolt handle flying out. The 2000 was a "Buy It" because it functioned every time without a failure. Since the 2000 and the I-12 are the same basic action, both of these guns have been reported on this forum as having problems with the bolt handles departing when fired. It is not a major problem and is easily fixed. Their quality control lacks a bit, it seems. I have a 200o that has never failed. You have an I-12 that has given good service.

Dave, a gunsmith, made a post in which he gave a fix to this problem in the "I love my Stoeger" section. Should we have this problem, we know where to look.

Regarding break in, shoot a couple of boxes of high base loads to get the parts to mate and then go low base. I do recommend a recoil pad such as the double chamber Limbsaver. It really tames the beast.

Happy shooting!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
All I can say is buy the I-12, you wont regret it! I never had a problem with loads down to an ounce. I didn't have a break in period I just shot 1 ounce loads at doves. I will say you might have a problem with the bolt handle flying around. If it happens send the bolt to CS and they'll take care of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All I can say is that I was pretty disappointed by the I-12 I bought for my son earlier this year. It rusted so bad on our first field outting that Cabela's had to give my money back. I know they didn't make the gun but I'm glad they stood by what they sold. I mean the whole barrel was rusted due to a few hours of drizzle!

Perhaps a camo finish might hide the problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a max-4 camo model thats been in the rain for couple of hours straight with no rust. However my dad had his blued 870 out in the rain that rusted like no other. As soon as a blued gun gets wet you should dry it as soon as possible or yes there will be rust on it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Unless you just want the ease of cleaning of a recoil-operated gun like the I-12, a gas-operated semi-auto might be the better way to go. I've got an I-12 and love it and don't have a problem shooting 100 rounds from it at a time, but if it's strictly going to be a clays gun, you might consider a Reminton 1100/11-87 or a Beretta 390/391/3901. Something along those lines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Took my new I-12 to the do a round clays. It fired great and recoil was not a problem. I did hear the click once and knew it was the bolt not going all the way forward. Other than that Im happy with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts