Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a Mossberg 590. I'm ex-military and am familiar with it's operation..., does anyone have any opinions on another brand? Also, ammo for the house..., plaster walls, cinderblock construction. Is 00 buck to much?..., over penetration on a stray pellet or a missed target?

Not that I would miss,...LOL Just the whole hi stress, darkness, intruder, just woke up thing,... yada yada yada.

·
Premium Member
19,845 Posts
The Mossberg 500 series guns will work just fine and they offer good value. With a concrete block house, the only way the shot would leave the exterior walls of the house would be if you shot through a window. What about others inside the house..... kids? I think that #1 Buck would be a good ammo choice for you.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Diffrent strokes for different folks.... I keep a S&W Model 19 in the nightstand. Somehow, a shotgun would just seem too unwieldy - even with a stubby barrel.

Now if a clay bird tries to break in....

·
Registered
293 Posts
The mossberg will do fine, but if you're worried about shooting through walls then why not used a standard load of #4s. Unless you have a real long house a field load will take just about anyone down at the length of a hallway.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have a 20-ga Remington 870 with a 21-in youth barrel on it. I have a skeet choke screwed in it and I use a standard load of #4 lead birdshot. I even have the three-shot plug in it. Tell you why I keep this one by my side of the bed rather than a highly accurized .45 auto: 1) I'm a crappy shot with a handgun, even when I'm wide awake and the light is good. 2) When it comes time to explain myself, I shot the intruder with a factory barrel, factory choke, and birdshot--I did so because it was an emergency, not because I was lying in wait for an innocent young fella who just happened to wander into my bedroom at 2 a.m.

I know, I know--it won't shoot through a kevlar vest, it doesn't knock 'em down like #1 or #4 buck, a cyl. bore 18 1/2" barrel is available from Mossberg for the 870, it's better to have to argue in court than ride in a hearse. But I live in Connecticut, where if I shoot someone, I WILL be going on trial. I think the #4's will kick the hell out of an attacker at close range even if they don't kill him. Unlike the case of animals, I don't give a good god damn about a quick or humane kill. Severe, disabling and painful wounding will do just fine (consider the role of the .223 on the battlefield).

That's my story yer honor, and I'm stickin' to it--this young whippersnapper broke into my house at night, he was between me and the door, I'm an older guy and couldn't fight him, I had to protect my family, so I had to grab my old shotgun with--birdshot!

·
Premium Member
19,845 Posts
I'll tell you why I recommended #1 Buck as the home defense load. First, there is nothing wrong (legally, morally, or otherwise) with using standard factory made guns and ammunition to defend yourself. If you are going to chose something to defend yourself with, there is no reason NOT to use the best equipment for doing the job..... which is STOPPING the intruder.

This leads up to reason #2 for selecting #1 Buck. Tests in ballistic gelatin have shown that #1 Buck offers the best combination of penetration to vital organs and stopping power on lightly clothed human beings. If an intruder is going to challenge a person in their own home knowing that person probably is armed with a gun, then in about 98% of the cases, that intruder is going to be high on drugs. When on drugs, not only do they lose all concern about being injured, they also become practically immune to shock. Their nervous system is fueled by adrenalin induced by the drugs they have taken. A shot that would likely knock a normal person down or cause him to retreat in pain will be shrugged off by the druggie unless it hits his central nervous system or damages a vital organ. You just don't want to trust your life or the life of your family members to hoping that the load of light birdshot will dissuade the drugged intruder from harming you. He may not even feel the birdshot. In effect, you need to actually disrupt his central nervous system or stop the functioning of his vital organs. Even in the latter case, it can take 20 to 30 seconds for him to cease to be a danger to you.

That's why I will chose the gun/load that is best at STOPPING someone and not rely on inflicting pain on them, because under the circumstances described, the druggie is feeling no pain regardless of what you shoot him with.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Excellent point, definitely. A good many people advocate # 4 or # 1 buck, and I actually have some around. Maybe I ought to re-think this. Thank you Ulysses, for your polite and knowledgeable post:) That was my story yer honor, but now I'm not so sure I'm stickin' to it . . .

G

·
Yeah my dad keeps my 870 Express Magnum under his bed. He says that #8's will do the job at close range. Because if you ever shoot something at close range with #8 then you see it tears up whatever it is shooting. So im just wondering if #8's are such a good idea. We might need to start using Turkey Loads, but we do have like 4 #1 buckshot here for the 20 gauge so maybe that is the best thing to use. I've heard someone say you can load it where your first shot is birdshot and if that doesnt stop the intruder then load them with the second load of buckshot. Well if someone broke in I think it would be better to just stop them, not to kill them. If you can stop them that is the best thing to do, and after you stop them whats the best thing to do??My mom has a .38 special Rossi revolver by her bedside.

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is just my two cent opinion, but...

I'm pretty much a skeet/trap guy these days, but I did learn how to handle firearms from a more "tactical" side. I've taken both tactical pistol and tactical shotgun courses.

I agree completely with Ulysses in that your primary goal is to "incapacitate" an intruder. You're not trying to shoot them in the leg, or shoot the gun out of their hand, or just knock them down, or anything silly like that.

Ideally you need to hit the medula oblongata which will basically switch a human being's nervous system to "off" very suddenly. Or, failing that, you need to hit the spinal cord or heart.

It's a bit of semantics when you say you just want to "incapacitate" an intruder. Well, how do you do that? By shooting them in a particular place that, physiologically speaking, causes them to stop their current action very suddenly. But won't that also kill them? Yes, in most cases it will, but that's not your "goal". Incapacitation is the goal; death is a possible after-effect.

When I first heard that, it seemed a bit silly. Why not just teach people to "shoot to kill" instead of "shoot to incapacitate"?

But after a lot of thought, here's what I came up with... If, god forbid, I find myself in the "gravest extreme" and I have to defend myself or family, I will aim for the medula oblongata or the heart/spine if possible. Now if I hit the intruder and "stop" him, then I will have achieved my goal. I "shot to incapacitate" and I was successful. Now let's say that through some miracle, he recovers from the shot. Well, that doesn't change anything. I still achieved my goal. I don't base that on whether he lives or dies, only on how effectively I stopped him during his attack.

So death is not my goal, only incapacitation.

A little philosophical, I know...

But AustinX, I would tell you that it's dangerous to mix the objectives of stopping someone and killing them. If you ever find yourself in the true home defense situation and in your head you are thinking "I need to stop them without killing them" you may hesitate and it may cost you.

Always think "I must incapacitate them with a shot to the head or chest". Whatever happens after that is up to fate...

Again, just an opinion. And I certainly am not speaking from personal experience, just what I was taught... :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Once again, Sander speaks the "Truth"!

Once you start squeezing the trigger, your only thought should be 'I've got to stop him now, what ever happens to him later is his fault, not mine.'

Absolutely no time to figure out how to "wing" (or some such nonsense) him. That's why we practice hitting the 10 ring, not the 1 ring.

To my knowledge, a justified shooting does not henge on what one shot with, but the circumstances that led to the shooting. Shoot as a last resort, but when you do, shoot to stop him--so be it if it becomes terminal.

Until that changes, I'll continue practicing with buckshot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 590 is good to go and, as long as the possibility of overpenetration of walls inside the house is not a concern, 00 Buck is also good to go.

Just my opinion, but incrementalism didn't work in Vietnam and it doesn't work when you're trying to save the lives of yourself and your family. If you're in a deadly force situation, by definition (i.e. the badguy has the means, intent, and opportunity to cause serious physical harm to you or another innocent person) you must stop the threat as soon as possible. For me, that's 00 Buck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Im going to plug the Benelli Nova Special Purpose Shotgun here for a minute.Great sights easy tear down handles very well for me! Ive been putting mine through some drills and its doing just fine. It prefers 000 buck over the 00 buck. It likes #4 buck to. After reading some above post,Ill try and dig up some #1 as well and give it a try. Im very fond of slugs however. Ive already setled on those as to which brand and make. The Buckshot is still in my testing decision phase. The true load of buck should equal 1" pattern per 1 yd. So at 10yds/30ft you should have all pellets inside that a 10" circle.Ive managed several 5 shot groups with all pellet holes inside such circles.
I imagine inside a home most rooms are smaller than that and with the right buck load a person could become surgical with it. So far Ive done that with the #4 and 000 Buck! close but not quite with the 00 buck. Ofcourse there are many many brands and loads and each is differnt in some aspect and will be from gun to gun as well. I would avoid at al cost the "special" loads like chain-n-ball, fletcheetes etc. While i dont give much to the argument of what you used as much as why did you use...why bother dragging a defensive case out even that much longer trying to prove that point as well!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts