Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I'm working on mounting 1/2 of a picatinny rail on the side of the forearm, as soon as I have it finished I'll post some pictures.

I should have it finished by Wednesday...

Smitty

·
Registered
803 Posts
Also take a look at the Ledwave Z5 lights. They are a copy of the Insight Z-3 lights. They are excellent low cost flashlight, about $55. They are made in Spain. I have several and they have help up well. No blown bulbs under recoil.

GC

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just went through the process of locating a mount for my Benelli and have come up with two good mounts.

The first is the same one max listed I believe, but can be found slightly cheaper here

The second is a glock rail mount, and you can find it here

Also, I believe the light Max mentioned is Ledwave. Never used one personally, but I have heard them recommended previously. The problem is that I have never found a remote for Ledwave lights, and that's a deal breaker since I need one.

I will probably be going with the second as I plan on buying a Streamlight TLR-1, and I understand that they fit better on the glock rails than they do on the picatinny style rail. I had thought that glock rails were picatinny but apparently I was mistaken. Depends on what you plan to mount I suppose.

Note: if you plan to by the Insight mount, make sure you buy the right diameter. My Benelli mag tube is 26mm (as is the one in the link I posted), but many other brands use a 1" and I think the 930SPX is as well. You can always measure the tube or call customer service.

Hope this helps.

-Wolf

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
<== Big fan of being able to activate the light from a "firing" grip (i.e. no change in support hand position).

<== NOT a big fan of tape switches (Murphy has a way to screw them up for me).

I bolted a short pic rail to the bottom of the forend of my 870, and then attached a TLR1:

If i had the coin to do it again, I'd probably substitute a Gladius (strobe rocks for target disorientation) in an offset mount to the rail instead of the TLR1. I may still do that, but it'll be a while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input.. I went out today and put 200 shells through the spx.. the first 100 were flawless A mixture of all the buckshot and slug brands i could find. I bought a value pack of federal 7.5 shot at walmart. It did not like feeding those round though. I experienced 3 failures in the first 14 rounds. After that I put the rest though the 870.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
123654 said:
...value pack of federal 7.5 shot at walmart...
I'm guessing these were 1oz loads, can you tell us what the velocity was or what the part number on the side of the package read???

Smitty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Smitty in CT said:
123654 said:
...value pack of federal 7.5 shot at walmart...
I'm guessing these were 1oz loads, can you tell us what the velocity was or what the part number on the side of the package read???

Smitty
The Federals
12ga 2.75in 1oz shot 7.5shot
Game Load
3.25 dram EQ
Muzz vel 1290
Im guessing the part number is this: H121 7.5

What did work flawless mixed together..
Winchester Super X 000B 8pellet 2.75in
Federal 2.75in magnum 4 Buck
Remington Express 2.75in 1 Buck 16 pellet
Brenneke KO 1oz slugs 2.75in

All ran perfectly all mixed together. I was able to see patterns in the snow it was really cool just shooting snow on a hill side. I wish I had a camera.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Those should have more than enough power to cycle the action....

Maybe you need a good cleaning and lube, did you get the factory "axle grease" out of it?? Or, you just need to run some more of the heavier stuff through it until it "breaks in" a little more...

Smitty

·
Registered
803 Posts
Here is a picture of the Laserlyte Tri-Rail mount on a Moss SPX. I had to open it up a little so it will fit but it looks nice and it is a very secure mount. It will have to be removed each time you want to remove the tube ext. It only takes seconds to do.

Here is also a picture of an Aimpoint mounted on my SPX with a quick release lever mount. I can change back to the ghost rings sights in seconds and still maintain zero on both as long as I put them on the same position on the rail mount. The Aimpoint is fun to shoot on the SPX and it is very fast on target. It would not be very good for home defense. It does show how versatile the SPX set up is though.

The light is a Ledwave Z-5 with a Butler Creek Flip Open cap. A very good low cost light.

The ext tube in the pictures has been refinished with the Dupli-Color ceramic paint I posted a thread about. You can see how close it matches the factory finish on the barrel. I plan to do the barrel also, so it will be very rust resistant too. The tube has some finger pint smudges on it. It is a very nice finish.

GC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts