Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started hunting quail (some of you have seen I just went on my first hunt). I don't have or use dogs, just on foot. Anyway, I am looking to get a quail call that might help me locate quail. The quail we have around here are Gambel's quail. On Cabela's I can only find a Valley (California) quail call. Where can I find one for gambels, or will the Valley quail call work to get a response from the birds???

·
Registered
174 Posts
I bought a Gamble quail call in a sporting goods store in Mesa. I can't say I have had very much luck with it. They say it works good with young birds. When hunting without a dog & even with a dog, I try to spot the quail running from cover to cover. If they haven't been hunted hard, I listen for for their clucking (that's what I call it) or "the Chicago" sound when they see you or they are trying to regroup after a flush. I would have walk by a lot of coveys if they would have kept their mouths shut.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
grandejuan said:
I have a gambels call from Sportman's warehouse in N Phoenix, got it last year. Don't know if they still stock them but don't have a reason why they wouldn't. By the way, it works good. GJ
I just bought my 870 express from there a couple weeks ago. I will have to get back there and check out their quail calls. I hate that sportsmans doesn't have a very good website.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts