Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a shotgun to hunt all types of game - waterfowl, turkey, deer, upland, etc...

something under 500 dollars.

and something that is friendly to left handed shooters. (although I am not sure that this is even an issue after reading some posts)

What I keep seeing are:

Remington 870 Express
Mossberg 500
Browning BPS (loads underneath)

others I have read good things about

Mossberg 535 and Mossberg 835

I am still kind of new to everything, but I am looking for a gun that I can take out there and hunt anything with using both regular shot and slugs.

(I am unclear if i need to get two different barrels to do this)

I am looking at the mossberg catalog and they got these combos, but i want to know if I can get a waterfowl gun and use slugs in it.

are 3 1/2 shells really necessary for anything?

Yeah so basically I am looking for a jack of all trades gun that is relatively inexpensive and reliable and friendly to lefties if that even matters

Thanks

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, Remington made left-handed Wingmasters (maybe they still do.... I dunno).

Anyhow, for you southpaws, that's the place to start.

Next best bet is the Mossberg with the tang-mounted safety... the right-side ejection port is no problem for a leftie when shooting a pump. On an auto loader, it's a different matter - it opens so quickly that it'll belch flame, soot, & smoke outta the port; somewhat of a problem when it's right in front of your face.

You can shoot rifled slugs out of a smoothbore without needing a special barrel. A dedicated slug barrel has the advantage of better sights than just a plain bead. If you're going to shoot sabots, you'll need a fully rifled barrel.

Regarding the 3-1/2 inch shells (get ready for a LONG thread on the pro/con arguement) -- my opinion is that they are the solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I shoot 3" for geese and 2-3/4" for ducks.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Man, I don't think I'd shoot shot from a rifled slug barrel. You might not trash anything, but the rifleing (sp?) is designed to spin a slug for downrange performace, and I'm afraid the shot would damage the lands and grooves.

If you're looking for a one gun to do it all, I'd probably go with one of the Mossberg 2 barrel sets. They're a great value. Somebody has posted recently about a set at Dicks (?) for like $399.

My wife bought me a Mossy 500 in 1987 with the 28" accu-choke bbl, and a smoothbore slug bbl. That gun has been used for deer hunting, rabbit, duck, goose, skeet and sporting clays. It's also been abused as a paddle, machete, & a walking stick in the swamp. It's been painted in 2 different camo patterns, and has never misfed or misfired. It's kind of like my old 1974 Dodge Power Wagon... ugly as sin, but absolutely unstoppable!

Best of luck,
- PJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked out the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 535 at a cabelas. Both seemed alright, but the Remington's pump seemed more secure to the gun compared to the mossberg which kind of jiggled around. Both seem fine, but if i can find the combo barrel deal i would probably do that. I found a dick's sporting goods with a mossberg 500 deer field combo with scope for 250 dollars. That sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The Modified choke tube will shoot slugs just fine. You may find that an Improved Cylinder or Skeet tube holds a little tighter group, but the difference is not likely to be all that great.

Chokes aren't all that expensive, and you'll probably end up buying a couple more anyhow; Full for turkeys or waterfowl (if you're shooting non-tox, Modified if you're shooting steel), and an IC for upland birds like grouse, chukar, quail, etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought the mossberg 930 at Dick's it came with a 28" barrel and a 24" rifled barrel it came with a scope and extra stock with a raised cheek piece for only 399

1 - 11 of 11 Posts