Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is one of those personal preference questions that is asked more times than most shooters get to pull a trigger, but work with me here, in YOUR OPINION which is the best shotgun manufacturer to go for? If you're up to it, give us reason too.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Price/Performance ratio being the main factor for me here, in order:

Remington
Browning
Franchi
Weatherby
SKB
Beretta
Benelli

There are others but that's what came to my head when I read your question

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
best-------covers alot of ground. overall---with all that beretta owns/controls now, most peoples ''best'' would be served well there.

that said, i don't know of a beretta that i could replace my shooter with, and be comfortable with the decision :roll:

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you properly maintain your shotgun it will provide years, and hundreds of thousands of rounds through it with little conern of what brand. Do I expect a Kolar, or Perrazzi to outlast a mossberg? Yes, you do get what you pay for.

Remington makes high quality guns like the 1100, the design of the Remington 3200 although no longer made by remington, is incredible.

Browning makes outstanding shotguns as well.

I would put Beretta slightly above some brownings but some brownings above some berettas.

Then the P, and K guns, with Kolar being my favorite shotguns.

I think there's going to be a bag of mixed emotions on this thread, and the only reason I replied was because you asked for as much input as possible.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
What era are we talking about? For me, my old Ithaca 37 and my Stevens 311A are the best old guns, but newer guns I'd go for Beretta or Remington.

·
Registered
797 Posts
If you're talking about the best bang for your buck for the average joe(all action types included),I'd have to say Remington or Browning.If I had to give the nod to one or the other,and having owned numerous guns made by each manufacterer,this Remington guy would have to choose Browning.
Dave

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
To add to what others have said, what type of shotgun you want will affect the decision. And what are you going to use it for? You probably don't want to take a $10,000 gun with you to a duck blind.

And a good hunting gun isn't always the same as a good target gun. Target shooters often like heavier guns to absorb recoil and smooth out their swing. They might shoot hundreds of rounds a day, but only carry the gun from the rack to the line and back. A hunter may not even shoot twice, but might carry that gun for hours, so a lighter gun might be worth the extra recoil.

·
Registered
205 Posts
but work with me here, in YOUR OPINION which is the best shotgun manufacturer to go for?
Again this is a wide path! You asked for openions this is mine!!!!

Any thing you can shoot and have fun with is the best. depending on what you call having fun determins what you need. Some folks are very happy to get 23/25 while others may be in tears because that was 398/400.

best shotgun manufacturer to go for?
I would say anyone with a solid foundation: Remington, Winchester, Browning, Beretta, Benelli, ect.......

If you need more info just ask we will be glad to help cloud things up even further!!! :) :) :)

·
Registered
I lost them all in a boating accident.
17,978 Posts
Best? Purdy. Best for my budget? Beretta/Browning.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Best for what?

IMO and keeping prices within the budget of the working man and after having owned and shot the best, I would say:

For targets, tops is the Kreighoff K80, followed by Perazzi and then the Beretta/Browning class guns.

For upland, any of the quality Italian SXS guns, $3500 range and up. I like the Rizzini Lusso guns.

For waterfowl, depends on the conditions... mild conditions and quality autoloader like a 391 or Benelli. For harsh conditions (rain, snow, ice) and good pumpgun M12 or 870.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Browning

They make good guns, they make a wide range of guns, all of their models are pretty good. Safe buy at almost any price point if you don't want to do your gun buying homework. Also good for price comparisons. Sorta like looking the price up in the Sears catalog as a reference used to be (30 years ago?)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Where quality, workmanship, performance, durability and value intersect is Perazzi. The basic MX8 is a classic and extremely good value for what you get. The MX2000 is the same gun with a little more engraving. I've owned Krieghoffs, Berettas, Brownings and shot just about everything that's out there including Kemans, Kolars and various custom guns including the H&H Sporting Gun.

The plain jane Perazzi MX8 with a fitted stock and upgraded wood is the best that's out there and I don't want to shoot anything else.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
PJR said:
The plain jane Perazzi MX8 with a fitted stock and upgraded wood is the best that's out there and I don't want to shoot anything else.
I agree with you. However, if you want ultimate reliability, skip the upgraded stock. It'll crack more easily than the standard wood.

That said, me, I shoot an MX-2000 with custom upgraded wood 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts