Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
T-TRAIN said:
Can anyone recommend a good steel gun cabinet for around $200, in six gun size. Also, it is desiralbe that it be fireproof, but I don't think one can get that in my price range.
Metal gun cabinets are widely available in your price range. Construction will be comparable to a similarly priced file cabinet. Should be pre-drilled to mount to wall studs. Stack-On is probably the most prolific manufacturer.

If you want an actual gun safe (with a water/fire proof rating) you will have to spend $600+. Canon makes some affordable gun safes for under $1000. Be aware that these things weigh over 500 pounds, so delivery charges can be expensive and vary widely. I shopped around among several stores for similar Canon models, and went with the vendor with the most reasonable delivery charge.

·
Registered
27,482 Posts
You might also look at your local locksmith who sells safes - he might have nice used one from a trade-in that you could get inexpensively.

Reactions: captjsjr

·
Registered
133 Posts
Are guns typically covered under renters/owners insurance? It would be really sad to lose my guns in a fire, but am I completely screwed if I do or is there hope?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
BanditB17 said:
Are guns typically covered under renters/owners insurance? It would be really sad to lose my guns in a fire, but am I completely screwed if I do or is there hope?
Read your policy. Some homeowner's policies will offer a nominal amount, but if you own even one good O/U, you'll need more coverage. NRA offers a decent basic plan to all members, with the option of adding extra coverage. I have a separate policy through NRA, since my collection has grown.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you can spend $499 ...

COSTCO sells a Winchester 19cf gun safe.
30 minute fire rated @ 1400*
59" x 28" x 20"

5 locking pins - 3 side & 1 top & bottom

It's about the best price for a good safe out there. I spoke to Granite Security Products (that is Winchester safe company) by phone & was told that this same safe (marketed under other #s for other retailers) usually sells at discounted prices between $649 - $750.

Costco sells it for $499
costco # 441293 - in store item
Winchester # WC-5928-11-E

·
Registered
71 Posts
T-TRAIN said:
I should have stated cabinet instead of safe, sorry about that. How much protection (thieves, fire, etc.) do those cabinets really provide?
The inexpensive gun cabinets are built about to school locker specs, maybe a little better, so for Fire, probably no protection. Thieves, maybe enough depending on what you have. It really depends how unlikely of a scenario you are trying to deter. A typical burglary is a pretty in and out affair, and since a locker would slow them down, would probably be a deterrent. OTOH, if you were being targeted specifically for your guns and they were a little more purposeful, it wouldn't take much to get into a typical Stack On locker. I've seen posts that are distrustful even of smaller real safes (like my 500 pounder) because if two guys can get it in, two guys can get it out. That may be true, but frankly, the odds of two guys taking the trouble of getting my safe out of the basement to take back their lair to extract my 1200 bucks worth of guns seems pretty remote). This does offer an argument against placing the safe in your garage though.

I was looking for storage more to keep kids out than anything (there is very little crime in my neighborhood, and I was keeping the guns somewhere pretty out of the way anyhow), and was going to get a cabinet. My wife decided she'd like something that she could throw some jewelry and stuff in too, and actually lobbied to get a legit safe, and in the end, I'm kind of glad we did. Just went with a basic model from Scheels, which I believe is made by champion. It is pretty solid. Plenty to deter a kid or a petty burglar.

·
Registered
20,132 Posts
That safe is no available on line. Like most things in Costco, they are not available in all stores. I have seen it and it is a nice safe for the money.

Gander mountain has free shipping on everything including safes.

A gun cabinet will not offer any protection against fire. It will slow down the average thief, but isn't heavy enough to stop them from just carrying the whole thing out. Bolt it to the wall or floor for best protection.

Honestly, the standard gun cabinet is not much better than a nice wood cabinet that will look much nicer. Creative hiding places are actually much better. If they don't know it's there, how can they steal it?

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
I'd look for an entry-level Canon or Liberty. I got a decent-sized Liberty, delivered and placed, for right around $1K. That's about the price of one good entry-level O/U, perhaps a used one.

If $200 is all you can go, by all means bolt it to the wall. Me and another hefty guy moved my old steel cabinet by ourselves, no cart involved. Granted, there were some "let's take a minute" breaks involved, but we got it done. OTH, my brother and I (neither of us a tiny lad) darn near killed ourselves moving his Liberty, which is a little bigger than mine, and we'd rented a van and an appliance dolly. He actually pulled a muscle in his butt...which I remind him of everytime he wants to do a big job on the cheap. I give him the "Hey, glute boy, remember the last time we tried something this? We're middle-aged for God's sake!"

It's good to have brothers. Who else can you rag like that and still get invited back?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't find this item on the Costco web site. Could they be gone already??
It is not a COSTCO on line item. It is an IN STORE ONLY item.
I couldn't find it on line either.

The Costco near me has had 1 or 2 on the floor since mid December. I was just there on Friday and there are 4 on the floor.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Okay, thanks for the feedback. A few years ago I bought a safe from Costco, on-line, and the price included delivery to the house. For a few bucks more the guys brought it in and put it where I wanted it. I thought it was a good deal. Still have it.........and another 36 gun safe..........still not enough space!! :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
213 Posts
txrick55 said:
I went to the closest Dick's last weekend and they quoted me $400 (HUNDRED!) to deliver the big $1200 46 gun safe.

I went to Tractor Supply and they have the 36 gun Cannon for right at $1000 and I asked about delivery. They called a guy from the back of the store over and he said he'd deliver it himself for "Oh, about $65." Done! Just waiting for the back yard to dry out a bit. It's not going to do much good in a full blown house fire (30 min @ 1200*), but it will keep my kid(s) out and no 'smash and grab' thief will get in it. A determined pro... sure, he'll get it.

M'sP

·
Registered
870 Posts
I caught a deal on the second one at Bass Pro, well actually my Fiance did, she got it for $650 delivered on sale two years ago for my Christmas present, really suprised me, I broke down & married her. Same situation here, I could not beleive the change you can drop on buying a safe now, some cost more than my first house !! I beleive no matter what you have them in, if a pro stops by to help himself, it wouldn't take him long to get into any safe made anyway, so I went the more practical route as you did, maybe fire proof for a short time, but that should give the fire dept enough time to get there and keep a hose on the section of the house your safe is in, at least until they get the rest of the house put out, as for the professional coming for my few guns, I have a 45 caliber homeowners policy I could give him an introduction to. I invested in a home security system also, I figure between these this should provide at least some false sense of security anyway. I am glad you found a good deal on one. CONGRATS !!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.