Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently given an Ithaca double barrel shotgun from my grandfather. I believe it is the Flues model shotgun and the # on it is 385 654. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to determine what grade it is and possibly when it was manufactured or how much it is worth. I do not plan on selling it as it was a gift was from my grandfather, i would just like to know a little about the gun. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
That's a Flues Model, made in 1924. The grade will be marked on the water table,(The top of the frame, where the barrels rest when closed).. Before the serial number you will find either an S, F, 1, 1 1/2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7. The value an be anywhere from $200 to $20,000, depending on Gauge, Grade, condition and originallity..Bushrod

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on one side it has the serial number on it and on the other side it has an F with 12 underneath it.....it is a 12 gauge and is in pretty good condition but it looks like the stock might not be original, although i dont know for sure...thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just one more question: it doesnt say if it is 3 inch or 2 3/4. A three inch shell fits in it but i just want to make sure its ok to shoot 3 in before i do. if you know please let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
cirino22 said:
just one more question: it doesnt say if it is 3 inch or 2 3/4. A three inch shell fits in it but i just want to make sure its ok to shoot 3 in before i do. if you know please let me know, thanks.
It is highly unlikely to be a 3". Shell length is based on when the shell is opened (fired). Just because a shell fits, doesn't mean it is the right length. You should be able to push a tape in along the edge of the chamber until you feel a lip.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Even tho you have a later model Flues, It's possible that it cme from the factory with 2 5/8" chamber and I would advise against shooting any standard, off th shelf loads. these guns should only be used with loads not exceeding 8,000 PSI chamber prssure.. Bushrod

·
Registered
30,237 Posts
The Flues model was made from about 1908 until the New Ithaca Double came out about 1926. Ithaca had trouble with Flues frames cracking way back then. The later Flues models, and yours is pretty late, were beefed up some to try to make them hold up to modern loads. It wasn't enough, and Ithaca redesigned the gun when they came out with the NID.

Bushrod is correct. But, let me simplify it some. There aren't any modern loads you can buy at a gun shop or Wal Mart that you can shoot in your gun. You'll either have to reload, buy some special low pressure shells over the internet, or,,,,and this is a good option,,,,,go to a sporting goods store such as Cabela's, Dick's, or Bass Pro and buy some Low Recoil Target Loads. Winchester AA Super Lite is one brand I'm aware of. These are low pressure shells.

For the love of God don't even think about shooting even one three inch shell in that old Flues. You really shouldn't even shoot over the counter, standard pressure 2 3/4 inch shells, much less the big boomers. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts