Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any info on this old Stevens would be greatly appreciated; age, value, etc. It is a side by side double barrel 12 gauge with side locks and open hammers. Condition is fair, complete and usable but little original finish and many scrapes and scratches. Barrels are 28 inches and appear to be steel and not damascus. One side plate is marked J. Stevens A&T Co. Chicopee Falls, Mass U.S.A. Pats appl'd for. The only other markings on the gun are 41777 stamped inside the forestock, and 249 on the underside of the barrels and inside the frame. The sidelock plates are of a lighter color than the rest of the gun, possibly nickel plated. Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me about this oldie.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Information on the Stevens made double sidelock, exposed hammers shotguns is a bit scarce but here's what little I came up with. As best as I can find out there were three models that were the last outside hammer guns Stevens made, the Model 255 and the Model 270 both made from 1907 to 1925 and the Model 462 made from 1910 to 1935. The descriptions for all three and values are much the same.Made in 12 and 16 gauges with 28,30 and 32 inch steel barrels. Values given are NIB (not very likely)-$800, Excellent condition-$400, Very good condition-$380, Fair condition-$300 and Fair condition-$250. There are no published serial number-year made tables for Stevens made gun. For that information you will have to contact the Stevens Historian at:
Mr. John Callahan
Arms Historian
P,O, Box 82
Southampton, MA 01073
Be advised he charges a $20.00 research fee per gun and he may not have the information either. it has been reported that early Stevens records were lost in a fire.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Rule(s) of thumb for approximate dating of Stevens shotguns:

J Stevens Arms & Tool Co, J Stevens A&T Co, Chicopee Falls, Mass. -- prior to 1916

J Stevens Arms Co, Chicopee Falls, Mass---1916 to 1947

Savage-Stevens, "Stevens(TM), Savage Arms Corp" etc, Chicopee Falls, Mass.--!947-1960/61

Savage-Stevens, etc, Westfield, Mass.-- after 1961

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
We need to see some good pictures of the gun to tell what you really have. From 1900 to WW-I the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. made a number of different sidelock hammer doubles. In General Catalog No. 50 (circa 1900) they only offer the No. 250, a gun with conventionally constructed steel barrels with double underlugs and a small rib extension with a small notch at the rear. By General catalogue No. 51, the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. had gone to making their barrels by a mono-bloc method and the No. 250 had steel tubes screwed into the mono-bloc, the No. 260 had twist tubes and the No. 270 Damascus tubes.

By General Catalog No. 52 (circa 1906), they had eliminated the double underlugs and gone to a larger rib extension with a rotary bolt, and in addition to the No. 250, 260 and 270, they had added a No. 280 with "Krupp Fluid Steel" tubes to the offerings.

Then, J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. changed their barrel manufacturing technique and went to building chopper lump style barrels which they called "Demi-Bloc" --

and put out a seperate catalogue titled STEVENS DEMI-BLOC SHOT GUNS. At this point the sidelock hammer doubles became the No. 255 with "Stevens Compressed Forged, high pressure steel" barrels --

and the No. 265 with "Krupp Fluid Steel" barrels. The No. 255 and No. 265 remained the two sidelock hammer doubles the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. offered through their last catalog No. 54 issued circa 1915-16, shortly before the company was bought out by New England Westinghouse for war production, and became the J. Stevens Arms Co. They dropped the sidelock hammer doubles and only produced the Stevens No. 235 box-frame hammer double and the Riverside No. 215 box-frame hammer doubles from 1917 on.

The information Ned posted that the No. 270 was made until 1925 doen't agree with my collection of Stevens catalogues and I have no listing anywhere of a No. 462?!?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Thank goodness we have several people out there with additional information. My reference only mentions the Stevens Model 270 made from 1910 to 1925 (I made a typo there), the Model 240 made from 1910 to 1935 and the Model 462 made from 1910 to 1935. The Model 462 with no illustration is listed in my copy of Joe Vorisek's book

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would sincerely like to thank all of you who gave information about that old Stevens.This is far and away the most knowledgeable sight for such info on the web. And friendly also. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts