Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good all-around 12 ga. shotgun for myself, female, 5' 4". Priorities are 1.upland bird hunting over my field spaniel, 2. Trap, 3. Possible dear hunting...in that order. If I have to get a separate shot-gun for #3 using slugs, I can live with that but I'd prefer to find something that will work for all 3. I've been using a Mossberg 500 that's way too big for me for 20+ years. Did pretty well with it but its time to get something that fits...I swear my arms must be getting shorter as I get older :? . Any suggestions would be appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah...I forgot to mention...I'm not a big fan of semi-auto, but not completely opposed if everything else is right. Also, not afraid of a little kick.

·
Registered
139 Posts
HIYA and Welcome to Shotgun World!

All right then you are about my height an inch or so shorter. I know exactly what you mean with the mossberg being to big, but you poor thing 20 years, tisk tisk. Well I have to get my long guns custom fitted to me, or at least cut down. HOWEVER, there is a ladies sporting clays Over and Under in the new CDNN catalog that looks like a good deal. They have Two versions one is a Tristar 333 youth/ladies for $299 the other is a 333 ladies sporting clay for $389. The 13.5 LOP should be about right on the head for you. You may have to take a 1/4" or 1/2" extra off, but that is no big deal. I really am tempted to try the Sporting myself, but since I just got a new gun not to long ago I would need to get the hubby to find one to buy also. This is for the low end ($$$) and would allow for you to get a nice pump too.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html
Just download the catalog and have a look for your self.

I myself found that a 12.5" LOP (lenght of pull) is the best. That of course is with no pad on it. Then all you have to do is find a good thick say .5" or .75" pad and some spacers and you have a very female adj stock. On my gun I use for upland birds and clays with out pad and spacers it measures 12.5" then with a 5/8" thick pad and a 1/8" spacer and a 1/4" spacer for 13.5" LOP.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Golden Hunter! I checked it out and it seems perfect! I called CDNN and talked to a sales guy who described everything and both models sound great. FYI the difference between the ladies model and the ladies/youth model is the ladies stock is curved a little to better fit a woman. It also comes with a recoil pad, the other does not, it has ported barrels, the other does not and the screw in chokes are extended on the ladies and not on the ladies/youth. I think this may be the way to go. For slugs, I think can get a youth stock from Mossberg for my 500. Not a big deal, I probably go deer hunting once in a blue moon anyway.

Glad I found this site. I was considering buying something that, in retropect, I don't think I would have been happy with.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Very glad that I could help you out. I hope that you get a lot of enjoyment out of your gun. Please keep me posted. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looks like i'm the slowpoke here. LOL when am i not. Ohh well it looks like you (golden) kept it under control :lol: . Well LBlaze here's a belated Welcome to ShotgunWorld, hope we can keep you around.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lighter weight guns have more felt recoil than do heavier guns using the same loads. My advice would be to try to get the heaviest gun you can manage in a 12 *****. Considering recoil, a gas operated semi auto would be the softest shooting.

A gun with a ladies or ladies/youth stock will be absolutely necessary if you ever want to shoot accurately and comfortably. To do both, the dimensions of the stock (length of pull, pitch, drop at the comb, drop at the heel, and cast,) must at least come close to fitting your size and shape. They can be changed but things are easier when stock fitting isn't necessary.

As was suggested above, the stock on an off-the-shelf gun may be too long for you. A "youth/ladies" stock may also have the wrong pitch (the angle of the end of the stock relative to the barrel.) This is because, viewed in cross section, male youths are built differently than adult women. The wrong pitch will cause the bottom of the recoil pad (toe) to dig into your chest. It is not only uncomfortable but can also cause the gun to smack you in the cheek. (Along similiar lines, wear a bra that has soft or no strap-adjustment hardware. The metal sliding strap-adjustment thingies can be painful when driven into your chest by recoil.)

Good luck,
Rollin
http://stockfitting.virtualave.net

1 - 7 of 7 Posts