Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi people,first I would like to say that this is the most friendly and helpful site I have come across. now here is my problem I was at my local shooting range with another guy who I met there.we were shooting handgun and rifle. He asked if the next week I wanted to shoot some trap. I told him I don't own a shotgun, and never really got into shotguns cause no one in my family shoots them anymore. he said he would let me borrow his old fathful cause he just got a new one. so I went borrowed my grandpa's shot guns from my dad. Found out that I personaly don't like pumps. they are out. BUT MAN I HAD SO MUCH FUN. I would like to get into trap and such. my grandpa had a Browning A-5 and a citori lightining trap. I have inharited my grandfathers o/u. but I would like to find a good semi-auto as an all around that I can use, and my wife (god I love her) said she would like to go shoot trap with me. So she could use the auto while I use the o/u. (love her but she won't be using the o/u) like I said I don't have experience with many shotguns. I have been doing alot of research. but still can't nail one down. my limit is around $500 and as long as it is chambered for 3". 3-1/2" I have no use for. I am leaning to a charles daly field. that was my friends new gun and it fit great he put about 100 rounds threw it with out a problem. but still need hlep of experienced shotgun owners. thanx,

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
subject should read " looking for new auto" was arguing with mother-in-law about what to get my kids for x-mas.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Don't just walk but RUN away from the Charles Daley, do a search on these or any forum and see the large numbers of complaints against them.If you want a good shooter look to the Beretta 390 or 391. I think Wally world has had the 390 in the $500-550 range. Much better choice, used around the world for clays shooting, easy to find parts for in the event, easy to find add ons, like new sights, shell catchers, weights for balance etc. You won't be disappointed in that gun. And when you want to upgrade to a nice wooden stock with the silver receiver with the pretty scroll work, they have the options for as much as you want to spend. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Not all charles daly are made by the same manufacturer.Whereas you should avoid all `exotic` manufacturers some spanish or italian guns should be OK.Check their site to see where each gun is made.Mind you, if you find a cheap Beretta then you should be even happier. Its not how well you shoot , its how much noise your gun makes

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my wife says she wants a pump so I said we should get both;) but I am thinking a benelli nova or a rem 870.it is up to her which feels best in her hands.a gun is like a wife.....it can can be your best friend or it can cost you an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Since your wife wants a pump, you WILL buy a pump using up all your budjet to accesorize it.As for your dream double, in a few years time you might get it.If you want to buy something DO NOT discuss it with your wife, just go and buy it, and when she looks suprised claim that you told her all about your plans when she was watching TV and make sure you appear upset and hurt that she does not remember. Its not how well you shoot , its how much noise your gun makes

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Either one will do fine for shooting trap as unless you are shooting doubles, trap is a single shot game. The 2 points with the Nova: 1) the forearm is large and may not be comfortable for her smaller hands 2) it has a much longer stroke to eject the shells and this becomes an issue if you have shot pumps before as the biggest complaint is stove piping, almost always caused by short shucking. So, definitly let her choose what is best for her and make sure it fits correctly....an ill fit shotgun can cause more harm than good in bruised shoulders and ego from missing. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For a pump, you might also consider an Ithaca Model 37. It's well within your price range, and a great gun. As a bonus, if you need to loan a gun to a left handed shooter (friend, cousin, son, nephew, daughter, etc) then they can use it with ease because the spent shells are ejected from the bottom of the reciever. However, it's a lighter gun causing a little more recoil, yet still worth your time and consideration. --Wing"If it flies...it dies."

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went with a mossberg 500 combo. Like I said it was what she wanted. my uncle has an ithaca 37 and I have shot it. it just was not for me. (had shorts on and was sitting down shell burnt my inner thigh)

·
Premium Member
11,284 Posts
Another 10 year Old thread WOW

·
Registered
962 Posts
Johnson02 said:
I think I'm going to buy a Mossberg!! The drop on the Mossberg is pretty good, with 1.5 inches at the comb and 2.5 inches at the heel.
Well good for you! Now E-mail ol' john the original poster and let him know the great news after 10 years. I'm sure he'll be so happy he'll tickled a little in his Depends diaper. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Maybe spammers trying to add some "legit" post counts before they add their spam crap, I see the post has been deleted, and ol' Johnson02 is on the ban list.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.