Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot almost everyother weekend and average about 2 cases of shells a month. I pheasant hunt about 2-3 times a year maybe more and dove hunt 5-10 times a year. I am looking for an upgrade. As of now I have a Bakail O/U thats about 3 years old and its getting worn out. I like the feel of the stevens 512 and have shot my dad's browning citori and love it but not the price. I would like selectible barrels, auto eject, and a durable gun. I am not looking for a gun for show and dont want to worry about babying it all the time.

If you can at all help me or at least leave a comment it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
You may be able to find a used Citori for that price. However, usually O/Us in that range aren't going to last long considering that you are shooting around 3,000 rounds a year. That's not super high volume, but it's plenty high enough to warrant spending a little more on a gun.

A Cynergy Field would suit you fine and last until you give it to your kids. New ones can be had for around $1,200.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Keep what you have until you save up some money. Then get a used Browning or Beretta. Maybe if you can come it with $1500 you can get a new Browning O/U field gun.
Did you ever think about a nice Beretta autoloader field?
They are great gun for hunting.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
You can find older SKB's (500s and 600s) in that price range. You may also be able to find a Valmet 412 for that. A well used, meaning not pretty and fixed choked, Browning or Beretta can sometimes be found under $800. Also the older Charles Daly made by Moruku.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
At the volume you're shooting, you need to save more money.

The SKB suggestion is better than the Valmet suggestion... there's no parts or easy service for the Valmet, so repairs can get expensive quickly.

Best bet... save up more money and buy a Browning or Beretta.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
LOL @ drsfmd

Now I can attest, from personal experience, that it's possible to shoot out a Browning trap gun. I bought one, without knowing any better. A kind mutual friend of the seller and me TIG-welded and re-machined the bloc as a favor, and told me to sell it ASAP. I did, with full disclosure, as a rental gun to our gun range.

So... I'm not sure I'd buy a used Browning for 600 bucks again...

However, sometimes deals can be had.

Beretta used to sell plain-jane verions of their guns, like the 686 Essential, but they quit. The White Onyx is the plainest 680-series sold in the US. Well worth the price, though. If you like the Citori, you probably won't like the Beretta, though (I'm the opposite).

If you like to shoot the Citori, I'd suggest saving the money up, and combing the clearance racks. Or, look for a used one in obviously excellent shape, and plan to spend more than 600-800 bucks. You'll be better off, in the long run.

Sounds like you've dropped close to $10,000 on tickets and ammo during the life of your Baikal. Might as well pay a bit more, and get a good gun that won't break again, not throw away your money.

CDNN has Belgian-made FN Winchesters for $999, and some Citoris at clearance prices as well.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
drsfmd said:
omega58 said:
Both of these guns are as good as my B guns.
Get back to me in 100,000 rounds... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I hunt and fish way too much to get to 100,000 rounds anytime soon, but you'll be the first to know. :lol:

100,000 rounds? Man, I may be retired and most likely still shooting my CG. . .hope is holds up as well as a "B" gun. :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Be advised, you won't find OE choke tubes in any of those guns.

CDNN has a current-production 101 for $999. Probably a more economical choice, when all is said and done (though I do love my old fixed IC/M Ithaca SKB 20 Gauge, but it generally only comes out for hunting or random practice).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.