Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I recently brought a 1979 B-2000 and the original recoil pad has been replaced. I am curious if the original (for mine '79) had FN or Browning on it. I have printed off the online owner's manual and there in the schematic illustration the butt plate has Browning on it, but I also have seen pictures of guns for sale with FN butt plate's on some.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe so. But, someone has put a Decelerator recoil pad on it. The measurements off the end of the stock are 4 13/16 long and 1 11/16 wide. I'm sorry by the way, I failed to mention this B-2000 is a 20ga. I think the 12ga and 20ga are different. This is the first shotgun I have ever bought and I DON'T know anything about it!

·
Registered
147 Posts
If the gun is original and uncut it will have a slight curve at the butt. (see picture) If it is flat it has been cut or sanded flat to fit the recoil pad. If it is flat your best bet is if the stock has enough to work with without making the LOP to short for you. Send the stock to a gunsmith or wood maker and have the curve put back in the wood and fit the butt plate. Without the curve the stock will not look right and the butt plate will not fit proper.

If you go with a Browning recoil pad back on it. Look to spend around 90.00 for the pad and having it fitted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, let me thank you guys for the comments and picture. It looks like I have purchased a Browning that someone has put some work into. Because, not only has the 3" chambered barrel been cut and Briley slim line choke tubes installed, also work has been done on the stock as well in order to accommodate the Decelerator recoil pad. One of the reasons I was looking for a Browning plate is I like the original look. I would have still used the Decelerator. But, thanks to you guys I didn't waste some money on something that would not have worked. It's slow and I'm learning. Normally, I homebrew but, my brother-in-law is dragging me out hunting. My Browning is a great looking shotgun and all the modifications add to its value for me.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Kelmar-- Going hunting. Aftermarket pad. Nice choke set up. This sounds
like a gun set up to go to the field. So long as the pad has been installed
in a quality fashion I'd just enjoy the nice 20g spending money on shells.
Sounds like a good first shotgun. Practice on some clays and enjoy!

My .02 David :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.