Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know... I know... shotgun forum... but jlptexashunter told me to... :lol:

I am looking to buy a gun for deer hunting, I have typically just used one of my fathers, but since he is in East Texas, it is fine when I go with him, but when I go with someone out here in the far west, I am stuck. So I started looking around. One of the best "on the surface" deals I have found is a Remington 710 .270. Cost is an issue, I looked at the Remington brand and thought that it should be a good gun, but after browsing the internet, I have found that the camps are very divided on this "economical" gun. It seems either you love it, or you hate it from what I have read.

What I want, if possible, is honest opinions from anyone that has actually shot the gun, or any GS's that have worked on them.

Thanks (and please forgive me :D)

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Joettu,
Just remember one rifle question per year.

My next door neighbor has a 710 and the gun shoots pretty well. I don't think he's going to win any bench rest championships with it, but that's not why he bought it. He's not very bent on cleaning guns and it gets bumped and jostled around quite a bit, but always kills deer.

If you don't like that one, the I've read a ton of good reviews on Savage's guns. Even their package series has some features usually found on higher dollar guns.

http://www.savagearms.com

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree, I would either buy a Savage or a Rem 700 ADL syn, bout the same price. I have owned 3 Browning A-Bolts (270,270,7mm), 1 Browning Bar(270) and a Savage 243 that I won at a turkey shoot and the latter will out group everything, but the auto believe it or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the advice...

I went with a savage 111FC in the .270, it was pretty easy choice after I started checking it in the reviews around... no negatives vs many negatives for the 710... Not only that but it was 13$ cheaper....

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Now just go out and get us some venison for the Shotgunworld Texas Cookout.

I'll take mine in Hotlinks or backstrap.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Savage 110L in .270 is what I've shot for years. It's never failed me and is always on target year after year with a fixed 4x scope. Rugged, dependable, accurate, and affordable.

E

·
Registered
985 Posts
Yesterday I went a put my money down on a Savage Striker 516FSAK in .308. Next week it should be in my hands along with 140rds of ammo. I figure if I'm gonna hit anything with a 14" bolt action hand gun I better get used to shooting it. The great thing is in WI I can use this thing in Shotgun/Pistol only zones!

http://www.savagearms.com/516fsak.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.