Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
AyA and Ugartechea ("Uggie") are two splendid Spanish gumnakers and their boxlocks can be had for less than $1000 used and are probably the best buy in SxSs out there.

They actually have some life to them!

Very well made shotguns.

And yes, unless you know a lot about guns you'll be taking a risk at less than $600. If you want to take that risk you can get older Uggie boxlocks for that price.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
You raise a good point about repairs and parts. I have an AyA #2 (sidelock) 20 ga that I've had for a few years. I have put thousands of rounds thru it without a hiccup.

If you look at the Spanish gun forum you'll find a lot of discussion about Spanish shotguns but what is absent is complaint - nobody seems to have mechanical problems.

I own 7 Spanish SxSs with no problems.

There are a whole bunch of older AyAs on Gunbroker (really cheap but the stocks need refinishing)

Having said all this, a warning: DO NOT BUY AN OLDER SPANISH SINGLE TRIGGER. Most are OK but in general it is best to avoid them. All my guns are double trigger and they all work perfectly. The single-trigger guns were made for the American market and were made to a price point.

But in my serious opinion an AyA boxlock is perhaps the best buy and you will be getting a gun that has some handling nicities and doesn't feel like a 2x4!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Matador is known to be a sturdy gun. However, it does have that single trigger. Also, a Matador has a pistol grip and a beavertail forend. OK with a ST, but not what you'd really want for an upland bird SxS. I wne grouse hunting this AM with a SxS, DT and English stock. A real joy to shoot.

On gunbroker, search for AyA and sort with lowest price first. There about 10 guns under $450.

An "older" Spanish gun would, in my usage, be from the 1970s to about mid 80s. I wouldn't get one much older than about 1970.

A lot of these guns have pitted or "dinged" (dented) barrels. Be sure to ask and don't bother buying one that is either pitted or dinged. These guns are all recent imports from Europe and the pitting comes from crappy post-war ammo and not cleaning.

All will need the stocks refinished if you want a "snazzy-looking" gun. I refinished 4 stocks recently and am working on the fifth today!

Try Guns International also. Also, look at some of the better dealers - they often have AyAs or (especially) Uggies at low prices and you can be assured of better cosmetics.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.