Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I primarily hunt for doves, but might try options too; maybe pheasants or turkey. I'm looking for an autoloader/semi-automatic shotgun that is easy on the shoulder and that doesn't wiegh a ton. Any suggestions on the best option for me? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Beretta 391 or Franchi AL48

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If you want easy on the shoulder, I suggest a gas operated autoloader rather than the Benelli. I have found the Browning's and Beretta's and Remington 1100's much softer than Benelli's. All things being equal, I would go for the Beretta (390, 391, 3901 or Extrema 2 with Kickoff).

There are a few of the new Benelli Vinci's out there for sale used (even though it is a new model). These guns are rather light and I think the recoil is heavy.

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
There are several 3" auto loaders that may work well for you. In addition to your price range, it might be good to list out some important features you might want this gun to have. What's the best model for me, may not be for you.

Take a look at the Brettta AL319/Urika 2,3901,390 Wal Mart, Browning Gold,Silver, Franchi 712, Weatherby SAS, Winchester SX2,SX3. For used models you can get into some of the Benelli model like the M2, Cordoba,Vinci.

·
Registered
26,234 Posts
The heaviest gun with the lightest loads equals the least recoil. Decide which is more important. Personally, dove and turkey hunting involve a lot less walking than chasing chukar or pheasant and I would gladly take the extra weight to absorb the recoil. A gas gun will reduce felt recoil better than an inertia gun.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Worc said:
There are several 3" auto loaders that may work well for you. In addition to your price range, it might be good to list out some important features you might want this gun to have. What's the best model for me, may not be for you.

Take a look at the Brettta AL319/Urika 2,3901,390 Wal Mart, Browning Gold,Silver, Franchi 712, Weatherby SAS, Winchester SX2,SX3. For used models you can get into some of the Benelli model like the M2, Cordoba,Vinci.
Of all the advice you get this is the one that is going to make the best scense. Great advice!! I have a berrta A390 and I think for a auto it is a wonderful all around gun, However Like Worc says you need to list out what options you want or need. for a $1000. you can fill that with alot of options.

Dean

·
Registered
634 Posts
What oneounceload said. Get the gas gun that fits you best. In my experience they all work pretty good. You shouldn't have any problem finding one for $1,000 or less and there's probably less than a pound difference in weight for any of them.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
The Walmart Beretta for less than $600 gets my vote.

·
Banned
30,310 Posts
The best lightweight, multi-purpose (field and clays) semi auto shotgun available today as a brand new gun, is in my opinion the Beretta 391 field model with a 28 inch barrel. With that one gun, you can do everything, and do everything well.

(However, if you are willing to spend a thousand bucks, you can buy an excellent used over and under Citori, Ruger Red Label, SKB, or maybe even a Beretta 686. A thousand bucks buys a really nice used over and under these days.)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Kind of funny, but the "Walmart" Beretta AL390 is apparently pretty difficult to find at a Walmart anymore (judging from numerous posts on other boards). I bought mine from Bass Pro for $549.00. Cabelas has also had them off and on. There were lots of them on Gunbroker a few months ago, but I checked a few days ago and only found one listed. The one I got is marked on both sides of the receiver "Made in USA", and on the barrel "Made in Italy". I have an older A390 with nice wood, and I wanted a synthetic stocked gun for hunting, thus the AL390.

It is solid as a rock and boringly reliable. While many may not agree, I prefer it to the 391's because of the simpler and thus easier to clean gas system. I think the "Improved" gas system on the 391's is a solution to a problem that never existed.

For $549.00 you won't get any better gun, and you can easily spend more money for less gun.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

There is much great advice here and I own or have owned almost all mentioned scatterguns previously mentioned so I am speaking from firsthand ownership. Do not overlook the Remington 1100/1187 they are great guns. Try 'em all and buy the one that fits you the best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all for the input so far. I posted more info last night but I guess it didn't go through. Anyway, I guess I'm newer to this than I thought because I don't know of any options for a shot gun other than the choke tubes and the material it's made out of. Any suggestions in that area? Also, after a trip to wally world, no more Berrettas; wasn't even listed in thier book. I have been considering the Berretta 391, Winchester SX3, Benelli M2 as well as the Silver Hunter. I can get the 391 for about 600, silver for about 750 and the M2 for about 875. The wal-mart version was looking pretty good at the price they had it at, but that option is out now. So for price the 391 is leading, but the silver is a great looking gun, with a speed loading feature (correct me if Im wrong on this)that seems like it would be a nice thing to have in the field. But back to the option thing, I mainly want a gun easy on my shoulder and that I can carry for hours in the field. Of course lower prices are great as long as I don't sacrafice quality. One other thing what is a kick off, and what is the difference between the Berretta 391 and 3901? Thanks again for all the input

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Almost forgot, several mentioned O/U guns; are there any advantages to these over other guns when it comes to dove hunting? Any idea why they are so much more expensive than autoloaders, or any other shotgun for that matter? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make the right decision.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Achord92 said:
Almost forgot, several mentioned O/U guns; are there any advantages to these over other guns when it comes to dove hunting? Any idea why they are so much more expensive than autoloaders, or any other shotgun for that matter? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make the right decision.
That is a great question and I always wonder why it never comes up in the endless "cheap o/u" debates. #1 you have 2 barrels that need to be machined to tight tolerances and put together very precisly so as to have the same POI. #2 (this is speculation on my part) with a pump or semi you can have different workers putting together different parts (bold assembly, trigger group, gas system/magazine assembly) and have other workers put it all together. It's not that simple on an o/u. You experts can correct me if I'm mistaken.

·
Registered
26,234 Posts
O/U's cost more than semi's or pumps because of the extensive handwork/fitting involved- (at least on the ones made correctly). SxS's require even more, and are generally more expensive on an equal quality basis than even O/U's.......

As far as a gun that is easy on the shoulder yet light enough to carry for hours, there are going to be some compromises on your part. While gun fit is paramount, and something you need to try before you buy, weight is also a major player in the recoil/easy on the shoulder issue. You can get real light guns that you can carry all day, but if you're shooting a lot or heavy loads, you're going to feel it. If you get something heavier, your arms will be aching by the end of the day - I know that from chasing chukar uphill all day when I lived in NV.

Figure out what guns are in your budget - both new and used and then try as many as you can at a gun club to see which ones fit.

Buy the gun, not the brand.

You're better off getting a used, better quality gun that will last, than a new cheap POS that will break quickly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Achord92 said:
Thanks to all for the input so far. I posted more info last night but I guess it didn't go through. Anyway, I guess I'm newer to this than I thought because I don't know of any options for a shot gun other than the choke tubes and the material it's made out of. Any suggestions in that area? Also, after a trip to wally world, no more Berrettas; wasn't even listed in thier book. I have been considering the Berretta 391, Winchester SX3, Benelli M2 as well as the Silver Hunter. I can get the 391 for about 600, silver for about 750 and the M2 for about 875. The wal-mart version was looking pretty good at the price they had it at, but that option is out now. So for price the 391 is leading, but the silver is a great looking gun, with a speed loading feature (correct me if Im wrong on this)that seems like it would be a nice thing to have in the field. But back to the option thing, I mainly want a gun easy on my shoulder and that I can carry for hours in the field. Of course lower prices are great as long as I don't sacrafice quality. One other thing what is a kick off, and what is the difference between the Berretta 391 and 3901? Thanks again for all the input
Can anyone touch on these other questions? Planning on making the purchase soon, so I want to have all the details to make a good decision. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
45 Posts
Achord92 said:
Are those prices new or used? If new where at? The M2 Field I looked at yesterday stickered @ $1200. I am sure he would come down some but I doubt $325.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All new prices. Academy Sports & Outdoors has the M2 now for $999; but because I work there I get an additional 15% off that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.