Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not new to shotgunning as I've been hunting with my Dad for many years. I've always used his 12 gauge 2 3/4 & 3" Winchester with a Wind Choke to change Chokes to hunt with.

We hunt:
Pheasant
Quail
Dove
Turkey

I've since gotten married moved out and am looking to get my own gun similiar to what I have. I plan to buy a turkey gun with camo already on it at some point.

So I would like to not go over $300.00 for this being my first gun I own.

Any suggestions?

I went into Walmart today and took a look at a Winchester there that was $240 but they only had the floor model and I wanted one in a box so I waited.

Some other items to consider is that I might use this on rare occasion to shoot clay and also this will be a good form of self defense as well.

Something that might shoot slugs as well as buckshot.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
The Benelli Nova is a pretty good gun for the bucks. I prefer it to the current lowend Winchester myself, and I'm a big Model 12 fan. If you want versatility and choke tubes and Camo, the Nova is hard to beat. I'm not sure how much the camo finished ones are, I've no desire whatever for one, but last year the black ones were less than 3Cs.

BP

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
For $300, I would look the same direction you already are. Possibles, besides the Winchester, are the Remington 870 Express and the Mossberg 500.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was in Bass Pro and the sales guy told me that he preferred the Benelli Nova in black but they were out of them.

They are better than the Winchester?

·
Banned
473 Posts
Go to the KMart website and do a search for shotguns. The prices will all be there. If you need to place an order, print out the page on the gun you want and take it to the store. I would suggest the Remington 870. It's the most bulletproof gun in that price range. You might also be able to find a used one for about $175-200 at a gun show.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I typed that in at their website and all I got were paintball guns.

For someone who hunts the small game birds and the bigger birds like turkeys is a gun with a wind choke better or would something with just a modified choke be fine?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I just bought a 870 12/28 express for $230 at walmart great durable, reliable gun, I did alot of research on it as well before I bought it.

You might be able to find some clearance shotguns as well for half off around this time. If you have more then one walmart in your town check out all or call, all there prices vary from the web site and from store to store. They might have something in the store that isnt listed on the website.

I recommend the 870 express, 590 mossberg, or a smaller 20 gauge remington 870 , all around $230 at walmart maybe less for the 590

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just did a lot of research on buying a pump. I ended up getting the Remington 870 Wingmaster. I would recommend looking at the Winchester 1300, Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870.

1300- Walmart has the "Deluxe Ranger" for around $240. There arent as many people that use these guns so I was not able to find out as much about them as I wish I was able to, but the people I know that have them love them. The disadvantage to them would be that they dont have as many aftermarket products available as the other two.

870 Express- The express can be found for $200- 250. The 870 is a very good design and simple to take apart. The receiver is steel so it does make the gun a slight bit heavier. The thing that I did not like about it was the matte black receiver. My friends that have this gun ALL have rusting issues(this is not to say that all of the expresses have rusting problems).

500- The 500 is around $200. The 500 is a reliable gun with a large following. There are also many critics out there about it too. I like the fact that it has the safety on the tang.

I dont think you could go wrong with any of these shotguns. Go look at all of them and see how they fit and feel. Let us know what gun you end up choosing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have it narrowed down to the Winchester 1300 Deluxe at Walmart and the Remington Express 870 Black Synthetic at Walmart.

And then the Benelli Nova which is currently out of stock at Bass Pro.

I think if I go the Walmart route I'm more apt to get the Winchester for the simple fact that it's what I've used before....I'm used to the safety at the front of the trigger area vs the back like the Remington and I all like the chamber release button more. Not too mention the Winchester is quite a bit lighter.

I just wish the Winchester was Black as that's what I'm liking it seems.

The only thing that I'm waiting on is the Nova coming back in so I can take a look. I really like the look of the gun as I'm in to modern looks.

How is the Nova for hunting?......Does it have Chokes available for it?

·
Banned
473 Posts
I have an 870 for my rain, snow and ice gun. It always works. The Winchester is probably just as good, but there are loads of aftermarket parts for the Remington.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent well I'll have to go check it out once they get it back in stock...Guess it was popular this year. They were out and their warehouse was out as well...they said about 2 weeks:(

I've heard some say the Nova has quite a kick and you want to look at the recoil pad they make?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you are ignoring the Mossberg 835 you are making a big mistake. I am a Turkey hunter and love my 835 24" barrel. The only issue I see from reading your post is that you want to shoot slugs. With the 835 you will need a slug barrel as the standard barrel is overbored. The 835 will handle 2.75 to 3.5 shells. You definately want something that can handle screw in chokes for the Turkeys so you can put in the supertight Turkey chokes. I suggest the Pure Gold .67 for turkeys.

I patterned a Benelli Nova against the 835 both using Pure Gold 0.67 Turkey chokes and the 835 murdered the Nova. The Nova just was not consistent.

Just my opinion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts