Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found Kolar Max lite Skeet adjustable rib guns with carrier barrels and tubes or 12 gauge and tubes. Also the 12 gauge with carrier and 12 gauge barrels are available new. Would love to have the latter, but price is pushing that a bit out of my budget. So my choice (for skeet) would be carrier barrel and tubes with no 12 gauge or 12 gauge gun with tubes. How much difference in the feel and balance is the 12 gauge gun with and without tubes? Shoot 20 gauge in 12 gauge events? Any recommendations or opinions?
Thanks
DD

· Registered
69 Posts
I have a 12 and carrier barrel and I like the weight matching on both

but I rarely shoot 12 mostly 28-20-410

if you shoot a lot of 12 then get the 12 and tubes you can always add a carrier and tubes later and maybe sell the tubes from your 12 gauge

if you dont shoot 12 a lot get the carrier and tubes then add the 12 later

i have a CG Mag impacts with tubes I do notice the weight difference with the tubes in, so I have barrel weights for when I shoot 12

· Registered
59 Posts

Here is an ad from another forum. I do not know if it is still for sale, but the gun looks great. I have two Max Skeet guns, both with two barrels. The barrel weights on one set is exactly the same and the other is one ounce difference. Before the COVID epidemic, I was shooting mostly skeet and using the sub-gauge carrier barrels. In the last year and a half, I have been shooting sporting clays to keep a safe distance from other shooters and that has been all 12 gauge for me. The Kolar number 2 skeet stock fits me great.

You cannot go wrong with Kolar shotguns. It is all I ever shoot any more.

Michael

· Registered
1,876 Posts
Go with the carrier and tubes, you can always add a shootable 12 barrel later when funds allow if you believe you need it.

There is nothing better than having everything weigh and balance the same.
This is the route I went as I only shoot skeet and use 20 gauge for doubles and the 12 gauge event. I also thought I would someday get a shootable 12 gauge barrel, but I haven't, yet.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Here is an ad from another forum. I do not know if it is still for sale, but the gun looks great. I have two Max Skeet guns, both with two barrels. The barrel weights on one set is exactly the same and the other is one ounce difference. Before the COVID epidemic, I was shooting mostly skeet and using the sub-gauge carrier barrels. In the last year and a half, I have been shooting sporting clays to keep a safe distance from other shooters and that has been all 12 gauge for me. The Kolar number 2 skeet stock fits me great.

Michael
I have seen this listing. A bit out of my budget but a beautiful firearm.

Michael

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So consensus is buy the carrier and get a 12 barrel later if it is needed. That was the way I was leaning as I dont shoot 12 much, only in 12 gauge events but I average about the same with 20 and 12. I appreciate the feedback!
Thanks
DD

· Banned
733 Posts
Carrier and tubes.

Reactions: j221003

· Registered
3,540 Posts
I agree Carrier Barrel and Tubes and get an additional 12 gauge barrel later on if you need it. I have Tube Sets, Carrier Barrel sets and 4 barrel sets and I find the Carrier Barrel Tubed the best for me.

Bob

· Registered
993 Posts
I went the 12ga barrel with tubes route. I have shot that setup in a K80 for 25 years and after trying a buddies carrier barrel setup declared it to be too muzzle light (for me). So I bought a Kolar with tubes fitted to a 12 ga barrel.

· Registered
3,540 Posts
Interesting as my K-80 with the carrier barrel and tubes weighs (loaded with two shell) and balances the same as when my 12 gauge barrel is on it. I originally wanted to go with Kolar tubes, but their barrel modification ends up with the tubed barrels being around 5 ounces heavier than the 12 gauge barrel because they can not take as much meat out of the carrier barrel because of the choke system.

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.