Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when my boys and I use 12ga shotguns for duck hunting we usually end up buying Winchester super x steel loads in 2.75”, they run $12 a box and the last iteration of these shells have been really good minus the shot quality (always out of round) and shot size availability (only #2 shot this year). These loads have a thick cup and launch a 1 1/16oz load at 1550. These shells run my auto 5 at the absolute perfect recoil impulse.
I’d like to replicate these hopefully with Alliant steel and better quality #4 shot. I’d settle for 1400fps but if I could replicate it exactly I would. What wad would you guys suggest? Any load similar where I can sub cheddite primers in a federal pb hull?

·
Registered
273 Posts
RSI ( Reloading Specialties Inc.)has loads that fit what your looking for. I load the 1 1/16 oz. load in an 3 inch hull with increased speed. They have loads for the 2 3/4 inch hull at the weight and speed you are use to.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My choice would be the LBC 43 wad from BPI. It will actually ho!d 1 1/8 oz and give you 1400+ in a 2 3/4" hull with Steel powder. All I used to shoot in 12 ga. I tried the Sam wads. Their quality control was horrible. Not sure if improved. I found others that worked better. For shot size, stick with #3 or 2. #4 give dense patterns but lack penetration at longer ranges. BPI had a nice data sheet for the LBC wad.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Winchester Super X loads are likely in a straight walled hull. Are you reloading the hulls or are you open to other configurations?

RSI-65 2-3/4 Federal Gold Medal hull, WIN209, ASteel, SAM1 and 450 gr of steel shot. 1,550 fps

The SAM1 wads come with a funky slit. Two straight slits and two angled. I extend the straight cuts to the bottom of the wad and use them. RSI 65 with #1 is an outstanding performer on ducks/geese. For nontox pheasants I'll load it with #5.

PM me your email address.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would like to use federal pb hulls as I have a ton of them, I’m sure I can dig up gold metal hulls though. That looks like the load I’m after. I might have to load some and sub cheddite primers then have them pressure tested.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
You need the RSI book, its the king of 12ga 2.75" steel shells. Specifically look at RSI 65 recipe, its a wicked shell that has patterned great in every gun I have tested it in. Its listed at 8600psi but I think it was old formula of A-STEEL. I'd chrono it and back down the powder until you are back around 1550 if need be. You might be around 34gr with new lots of STEEL powder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts