Shotgun Forum banner

Looks like the teal migrated early

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Anatidae 
#1 ·
I went out and checked my spots last week and again this week. Last week there were more ducks per square foot of pond than I had ever seen also tons more mallards than normal. It was borderline insane. This week most of the smaller ducks are gone and many of the mallards too. It’s disappointing as this weekend is resident waterfowl opener here in North Dakota. We’ll still get ducks but it was shaping up to be an epic opener now it’s below average. Hopefully some more migraters show up soon.

Last week picture and I had about 6 other spots with this kind of concentration, this week these spots had like 5 ducks each lol …..

Sky Plant Natural landscape Water Grassland

See less See more
#4 ·
Lol, some years you almost don’t. One hunt we averaged something like 20 ducks every three minutes trying to land in our spread. It was super foggy with some drizzle, We didn’t bring the dog and we were retrieving ducks while others popped out of the fog attempting to land near us. I took a first time hunter with us and the next trip out it took us 1.5 hours to get our limit, after the second hunt he commented how the hunting sucked that day, lol. He was surprised to hear some folks never get their limit.

#6 ·
Many of the teal nest up here but we don’t get an early season for some reason. We have a 50/50 chance of them migrating south before our resident season starts, they are the first to head south. We still get stragglers though. Honestly you never know what’s going to come through here on the flyway.

#10 ·
Where about? Here in Eastern Iowa we had the most teal I have ever seen during teal season. I was shooting them in dry dove fields there were so many, and man are they stupid. Even right now, I'm seeing flock after flock after flock each morning, just buzzing around and doing teal stuff. Lots of pintails, shovelers, and mallards as well. Nice big 20-40 bird flocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.