1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
Possibly Kurt Jaeger in Mainz?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
To have any opportunity at a gun and pass it up.......goes to instinct.

To regret that decision......makes you question those instincts.

To know what you want, and act on an opportunity......is a blessing.

To never have a chance at an item you are passionate about because you saw it too late.......that's a 'Loss'.

Regardless - I have experienced similar frustration.

Here's a Superposed by Kurt Jaeger - similar period.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/583010000

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I was high bidder on a nice gun in an auction once.........my wife contends that just confirms I was the dumbest one there.

She has a point...........

I did not take exception, and also thought it prudent not to tell her that I got it for $2000 below my bid limit, either.

I agree about non-factory engraving on these guns. I MUCH prefer the Auto-V for its realized price, than the Superposed by the same engraver for its advertised price. It's just a nicer style on the Auto-V (to me).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Fowlgunner said:
Am I the only one that HATES Gunbroker's new photo format?

I almost puked when they dropped the "Classic View" link.

Will
I sent them a complaint AND asked them if they could restore the classic view. They told me my complaint was unfounded and their new software was superior... For a minute, I thought the government might be managing it...

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jorau1 said:
I don't think the wood is appropriate for the level of engraving, it really detracts from the overall look of the gun.
I agree. I don't think it's worth the auction price. Although, the winner might send it out for fancy wood. He seems to be made of money.

I also dislike Gunbroker's new format, but I've learned to live with "improvements ". The guy that answered Bud's email was probably responsible for the change.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I just noticed this A5 has the GGR initials also. The quote below came from the Superposed that sold for 17k.

"The letters "GGR" are lettered on the trigger guard. The ducks are a silver inlay, and the fitment is excellent. The original owner was Army Air Force Colonel Gerald G. Robinson. He is documented to have flown 460 combat hours as a B-29 pilot, and he was the 875th Squadron Commander in the WWII campaign against Japan. His B-29 was named "Battlin Betty" for his beloved wife, Elizabeth. He and his crew were described by the famous war correspondent, Ernie Pyle. Colonel Robinson received the Distinguished Flying Cross on January 3, 1945 over Nagoya, Japan for extraordinary achievement and bravery. Notice that Mr. Robinson spared no expense when he got his shotgun by purchasing a traditional European hunters case made by Gallyon & Sons Ltd of Cambridge, England."

Notice the Superposed also had Plain Jane wood.

Sometimes there is a back story that drives prices. If this is a Col. Robinson gun, somebody got a great bargain.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Goad said:
I just noticed this A5 has the GGR initials also. The quote below came from the Superposed that sold for 17k.

"The letters "GGR" are lettered on the trigger guard. The ducks are a silver inlay, and the fitment is excellent. The original owner was Army Air Force Colonel Gerald G. Robinson. He is documented to have flown 460 combat hours as a B-29 pilot, and he was the 875th Squadron Commander in the WWII campaign against Japan. His B-29 was named "Battlin Betty" for his beloved wife, Elizabeth. He and his crew were described by the famous war correspondent, Ernie Pyle. Colonel Robinson received the Distinguished Flying Cross on January 3, 1945 over Nagoya, Japan for extraordinary achievement and bravery. Notice that Mr. Robinson spared no expense when he got his shotgun by purchasing a traditional European hunters case made by Gallyon & Sons Ltd of Cambridge, England."

Notice the Superposed also had Plain Jane wood.

Sometimes there is a back story that drives prices. If this is a Col. Robinson gun, somebody got a great bargain.
Crap! Now I want it!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I really liked the engraving on the Auto-V custom gun......a WHOLE lot more than the style I've seen on a couple of Jaeger's '53 Superposed upgrades.

One was in a 2010 auction with an estimated price (and we all know that doesn't mean anything) of $6-10k - it was a 2-bbl set and did not sell. Probably did not meet seller's reserve price.

The one that was up on GB recently - that was it's 3rd listing and did NOT sell - 0 bids at a $9k starting price with Buy-now of $18k. The first time it listed a month ago, it had a $16k start and $24k Buy now.

To me, if it's not factory engraved - or by a former FN engraver.....it's just another 'upgraded' gun.

Now, I've seen one with game scenes supposedly by Galeazzi (from what I was told) that's a little different....and very nice......and I would really consider it if the price were right, but it's a 2-bbl fixed-choke Trap set with 28" bbls and really plain wood. A Galeazzi-engraved Super has a very limited market even though Galeazzi is/was one of the greatest Bulino-style engravers, ever.

If a gun strikes somebody as 'unique', good sense doesn't always count...until you go to sell it. And that's why I haven't driven over to see the Galeazzi up close. Just what I need.....another 'trap' gun (in the truest sense of that word).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.