Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Super Moderator
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Kolar Max Lite Sporting gun.
Not shooting it very well, yet..
LOP was 15”, felt too long. Shortened to 14 1/2”. Didn’t help much with scores??
32” barrel feels too long and too heavy..
Its not gone yet, but stand by!
I shoot my Perazzi much better.

· Super Moderator
10,484 Posts
Hang in there, it took me 9 months to a year to consistently shoot mine better then the gun it replaced.
But I had no choice either as the other gun was down the road in 4 weeks.
Steve

· Registered
7,127 Posts
I recently bought a Kolar Max Lite Sporting gun.
Not shooting it very well, yet..
LOP was 15”, felt too long. Shortened to 14 1/2”. Didn’t help much with scores??
32” barrel feels too long and too heavy..
Its not gone yet, but stand by!
I shoot my Perazzi much better.
Since you admittedly shoot your Perazzi "much better" it should obviously indicate that the two gun's swing dynamics are significantly different. That is not going to change. However, with more use of the Kolar you might.

IMO why go through that learning curve and then find that you no longer shoot your P gun well? For that reason I say sell it.

· Registered
1,582 Posts
Dr , in so many cases fellas fall into the trap of buying a gun , by their looks , even though they (maybe) have shot their buddies ! I know in my case with having Kreighoffs , Perazzi's
and Kolar's , the change from my Brownings , it was the weight of those guns I wasn't prepared for ! Even with a good Fitting Gun , my fatigue of shooting a round , it was apparent I
wasn't physically in shape to handle either of them , now , I am ! Well , I should say I was ,Hehee .

· Registered
87 Posts
I bought a 32" high rib sporting model used that I have relegated primarily for trap use; during the 2 years I shot the 32" as my all-around gun, I eventually realized I couldn't reliably maneuver it well on the sporting clays and skeet fields. I settled on a 30" for when I finally purchased new.

· Super Moderator
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dr , in so many cases fellas fall into the trap of buying a gun , by their looks , even though they (maybe) have shot their buddies ! I know in my case with having Kreighoffs , Perazzi's
and Kolar's , the change from my Brownings , it was the weight of those guns I wasn't prepared for ! Even with a good Fitting Gun , my fatigue of shooting a round , it was apparent I
wasn't physically in shape to handle either of them , now , I am ! Well , I should say I was ,Hehee .
She’s a looker all right.

· Registered
7,127 Posts
Because he could start to shoot the Kolar better. You never know unless you try.
Steve
True, but then he still has one gun he doesn't shoot well. So Dr. Duk is then back to having a Perazzi to sell, because he shoots the Kolar "much better".

I am sure Dr. Duk can figure it out. A cardinal rule for me in shotgun ownership is to never sell a gun that I instinctively shoot well!

I wish I had stuck to that rule throughout my previous gun ownership days. 😢

· Registered
59 Posts
In my limited experience, the Kolar number 2 stock, along with the high adjustable rib, fits me best. And then I had the stock shortened a bit and the pitch changed by Kolar. Fits me like a glove with minimal recoil. Once I started shooting the Kolar, I no longer shot the Perazzi as well. Traded the Perazzi in for another Kolar.

Michael

· Super Moderator
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In my limited experience, the Kolar number 2 stock, along with the high adjustable rib, fits me best. And then I had the stock shortened a bit and the pitch changed by Kolar. Fits me like a glove with minimal recoil. Once I started shooting the Kolar, I no longer shot the Perazzi as well. Traded the Perazzi in for another Kolar.

Michael
I’m putting the P Gun away for awhile to concentrate on the Kolar

· Registered
87 Posts
I’m putting the P Gun away for awhile to concentrate on the Kolar
The biggest issue I had bringing out the 1100 in the rain vs. the fair weather Kolar was their slightly different POI. Spent a few shells on the pattern board to get them shooting the same POI and it is a lot easier to jump between the two.

Best of luck!

· Registered
233 Posts
Barrel weight is only part of the balance and swing story. Kolar barrels have a relatively heavy monoblock and are light out at the muzzle end (if you use two scales to measure it, or one scale and move it) which means they will swing faster and easier than you might expect based on their weight alone:

Measurement of 32" Perazzi MX8 barrel with extended thin-wall chokes:
1030g under monoblock
548g at approximate center of extended chokes
1.578 kg total

Measurement of 32" Kolar Max Lite Sporting barrel with factory Titanium chokes:
1192g under monoblock
478g at approximate center of extended chokes
1.67 kg total

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.