Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just wanted to start a new thread about the love of Shotguns. If you don't mind share your reasons for your love of the Shotgun and which ones you own or have shot over the years. I will start, I own Remington Spr 453 aka MP-153, shotguns is where my love of all kinds of guns started, there is just something about them.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My love for shotguns came when I was 13yo and I needed a shotgun to go duck hunting with. My grandfather let me borrow his Remington 870 Wingmaster made in 1972. I shot my first duck that early fall morning.

He would let me borrow it whenever I needed it, but I always would have to have it back to him promptly and clean. About 6 years ago, he ended up giving me the gun for christmas. I took it duck hunting one time and felt horrible about how it would get treated on my outtings (still looks brand new). It was retired as a hunting gun and is used for rec. shooting only. To fill the void I got a Mossberg 535 with the 28in vent rib and a rifled slub barrel.

I also have a NEF single shot 20ga and an H&R Pardner Protector for HD which is next to other rifles of various calibers.

Guns wil come and go, but that 1972 Remington Wingmaster will always remain in the right side of the cabinet.

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
502 Posts
My love for shotguns never really took off until I started shooting trap. Oh sure dad use to take me hunting when I was younger. He let me use an old Ithaca M37 16ga for pheasant/rabbit hunting and even the first year deer hunting. But I got into deer hunting and rifles then handguns because of the raw power of some of those beasts and the abillity to shoot very long distances. However once I started to shoot trap that all changed and so has the inventory in the gun safe.

Currently I only own a few shotguns:

Browning 525 sporting
Browning XT
Browning XT golden clays
Browning BT-100 stainless steel
Remington 870 Wingmaster and express combo
Remington Model 58
Ithaca M37 16 ga
Mossberg 500
Tri Star 12 o/u
JC Higgins 12ga w/poly choke
Remington 11/87
Remington 1100
H&R slug gun
and the list of guns I have bought traded or sold over the past few years goes on.

Of course this list in not in the order in which I use the guns. The XT golden clays comes out more often than not to go to the club.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm like Rich there, I didn't really start getting the shotgun bug until after I dusted my first clay. We were shooting hand thrown clays in my friends back yard and having an absolute blast. Right after that I went and bought my first shotgun, a Remington 870 Express. Then came the MEC reloader, my own trap and my first O/U that I bought at a pawn shop for a song. I have had a lot of nice guns but either sold or traded them off over the years. My favorites have been the Browning's that I've had and my new 525 Sporting is probably my nicest gun and the one I enjoy shooting the most.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I shot my first shotgun at 13 while spending the weekend with some friends that were lucky enough to live in the country. They were jealous of me living in town and I was jealous of them living on a farm. They got to do everything that I was forbidden from doing. They could ride their motorcycles, their tractors, their old truck. And they could shoot shotguns. I snuck out and bought my first BB gun when I was young and shot it around the neighborhood and at the railroad tracks. I couldn't tell you how many thousands of rounds of BB's I shot. From my first Daisy lever action to the Crossman pump ups and CO2 guns. But they were not shotguns. The first shotgun I shot was a bolt action. I thought the clip that went in it was cool. We played army all the time growing up and that gun with that clip in it seemed like a military gun to me. When I shot the first shot and heard the boom then smelled the smoke I was hooked for life. When we put cans out and shot old fallen down tin structures and I saw the hundreds of small holes in them from one shot I loved it. So much power with the simple pull of a trigger. The first time I went hunting with a shotgun was on a dove hunt on that same farm. We didn't get anything but I loved that too. First time shooting thrown clays was fun. The first time at the skeet and trap range I was so excited I could hardly stand it. Now, decades later, I still completely enjoy it every time I am in the field with a shotgun hunting or at the target range shooting clays. It never gets old to me. And it has to be a shotgun. I have gone rifle and pistol shooting with friends at their target ranges. I get so bored that in 10 minutes I want to leave as bad as when I am with my wife shopping. Shooting stationary targets with a single projectile is boring to me. I love action. Movement. The smoke from a cleanly hit clay. No other shooting compares to shotgunning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.