Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i think i posted something like this before, but it's a topic of interest to me. i seem to see a lot of products now either after-market or 3rd party that seem to concentrate on "souping" up a gun with accessories, and a lot of people who discuss this and that and how it benefits their performance. my question is on average how many people use these add-ons i.e. pistol grips, fiber optics, glowing sights, fore-end add-ons tec. etc. and is it really worth it to them? i've grown up in i guess you can say old-school methods and i really don't see the use for them, as far as i can figure if you bought a gun and had to add features to it, then maybe it never really was what you should have bought in the first place, kind of takes a little out of the sport when you add enhancements to lessen the difficulty of hunting or claying, less a sport and more a strive for efficiency, on the extreme end of things with products like Infra-red game finders, night vision scopes, and illuminated sights, making hunting a 24 hour a day thing to do, i really can't see the difference between using all these "make it easy" goodies and going to a deer farm or anything like it and paying a fee to shoot a deer that's penned up with a fence all around it and so domesticated that the kids can feed them candy lol

Sporting Clays Girl
Shotgun Expert
(9/23/02 7:35:30 pm)
Reply Re: low and behold the invasion of new tech.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well if your a wussy like me you might need a "dead mule" so i mean i think they work. thats just me!!

Howie1049
Frequent SW Visitor
(9/23/02 8:10:02 pm)
Reply New Tech
I have too much of a roaming eye for different shotguns to even think of decking the gun out in junk jewelry. I use em as I find em from the factory or gunshop. If I find alittle lady that suits, to keep in the gun cabinet, I may have the choke fouled around with to my type of gunning. At most add a recoil pad. Why?? Are you thinking of putting a GPS in the side of a gun butt of a shotgun for Grouse hunters, that maybe cool. The Lord knows only how many times I've gotten lost in the woods walking up birds, intent on the hunt only to lose my truck someplace. With pocket space a limiting factor, that I could get and justifity. Bread crumbs sure didn't hold up

Rick618
Shotgun Expert
(9/24/02 8:03:50 am)
Re: New Tech
I look at it this way, what did you add to your house or car to make it yours?

Some add new paint, carpet, furniture, or wall decorations, same to a car, cupholders, floor mats, seat coers, or a bedliner. The same goes for a gun...did you move the seat and mirrors so that you can see and drive comfortably? Does your wife move that around when she drives? Likely so. No two people are exactly the same build, so why not make the gun help you to shoot better by fitting better?

Generally, long guns are designed for an "average" shooter of a certain height and arm length. I adjust the gun to fit me by cutting the stock and/or raising the comb not getting me to fit the gun. Adding things like easier to see sights, recoil reducers, shell catchers, sling brackets are all items to personalize the gun further to the specific needs of the shooter. This can be carried as far as you want with custom paint, elaborate stocks, special sights, bedding barrels, removing or adding weight, it goes on and on.

My Benelli has had: forcing cone lengthened, backbored, ported, custom tubes, sling swivels and sling, Surecycle items both in stock and in magazine tube, HiViz comp sight, KickEez recoil pad, and it has been camo dipped.

The barrel work with the new tubes cleaned up and tightened the patterns nicely and the recoil went down, I was happy with all of that except the porting, that is just too loud to try and shoot with other folks in close proximity, the sling is for the obvious convience, the Surecycle items are for the extra protection that the stainless items give in the wet environments that I duck hunt in, the flourescent green sight stands out great in the early am and late evening, the pad is to further reduce the recoil on those magnum duck and goose shells, and the camo is mostly for turkey hunting.
Its mine, there isn't another one exactly like it.
There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

cD Tanthalas
Shotgun Expert
(9/24/02 9:11:20 am)
it seems the thread has lost it's focus, it's not "fitting" a gun to one's size, it's about the add-ons that take away the challenge that shooting has to offer.

Rick618
Shotgun Expert
(9/24/02 9:56:46 am)
Not really, I used fitting in both senses, fit as in actual fitting to ones body, and fit as in to ones need. Hence the list and explanation of those items that I added to one particular gun.

The challenge of shooting? If a gadget helps someone better their score or make a clean kill how is that taking away from the challenge? I can see how in some of the pistol and rifle games they special sights and trick outs make the weapon more accurate than most of us can shoot, however it is still up to the shooter to do everything correctly to hit the bull.

I would like to see a stock shoot, where say in a trap or clays tourny they open 5 boxes of the same untouched guns and have a stock shoot. Use them as they are out of the box, to see how the top shooters compare with what the avg Joe.

cD Tanthalas
Shotgun Expert
(9/24/02 11:35:27 am)
that's exactly how we shoot clay up here, we get 30-40 people at the same time bringing 5-6 guns a piece and everyone uses a different one every turn, everything from 20 gauge to 10 gauge and all styles of action and everything in between, usually a 2 day shoot so we all have a chance to try everything offered, we mix up the loads, try reloaded rounds of personal and popular preference. it offers newbies and pros alike a chance to try-out their next possible purchase and learn something new, i wouldn't have the number of opinions on models and brands if i had never tried them out, the main point here is that my personal preference is "straight out of the box", anyone with military expierience can understand as when they give you a rifle you shoot it no questions asked, if it fits fine, if not, well you adjust to it, i try to keep that philosophy to my own interests as well, i do enjoy this debate, and Rick knows how to drive his point home, it's topics like this that everyone learns something from and sees shooting from different angles, i'd like to see everyone's input on this, as everybody can benefit from reading it, i know i have

Rick618
Shotgun Expert
(9/24/02 12:18:30 pm)
That kind of shoot sound really interesting!! Many of the ranges here have limits on the gauge, nothing larger than a 12ga and size of shot, generally nothing larger than a 7.5 to conform to the ATA and ASA shooting rules. Generally it is no big deal to ask someone to swap weapons, this is especially interesting when they have the .410 and 28's out.

There are several free for alls at some of the public ranges, they set up everything, from full-auto, jeep mounted military 50's, all the standard autos(mac10, uzi, AK-47, AR-15's, etc), tricked out semis, the el cheapo .303 and SKS stuff, but it is mostly the military long arms, not shotguns. Still cool to see tracers rip into a 55gal drum filled with water!!

As to the military, yep the poor grunts were given limited choice, but how about the snipers? Those guys got the goodies, reliable and accurate weapons with awesome scopes.

And I too enjoy learning about the way different folks shoot and with what...no name calling or my way is the only way stuff.

Well ok tans a canuck and I'm a *******!! There I have stooped to the bottom!!

cD Tanthalas
Shotgun Expert
(9/24/02 2:13:46 pm)
we use a private range built for the club also used by the police force, many of us are qualified range officers, so even a quick test or just an hour of plinking is no prob. it's kind of like a show 'n' shine, even deals and swaps happen during these meetings, nothing better than "try before you buy" hehe

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.