Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having fits lately with long, low incomers. They throw them at Lehigh Valley, across the quarry. They just come floating in kind of slow, just begging to get crushed. I just keep shooting over or under them, no clue!
I'm thinking about just screwing in a light mod and killing them 30 to 40 yards out, before they get below my feet. What do you think?
Regards, George :?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I find them harder to hit as they get nearer. Also, shoot them maintained lead - always have the muzzel in front of the target so you so not loose your visual focus. At 30 or 40 yards, they might not need as much lead as first appears.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
if i understand the target, let the target rest on the bead but keep it there--once you have established it is/isn't moving left/right---smack it.

it is parallel or falling the whole flight?

·
Registered
170 Posts
If it is the target I'm thinking of (station 3?) I take it fairly far out and if I remember correctly, it needs a little right and a little low lead. Shooting from the A position, I need to shoot it early to get time to get to the simo crosser. You don't need IM.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Be sure that the target is not going down or curving just enough to make you miss it.

Taking the target just a touch sooner may be better based on your description.

Try this.... shoot it low gun and lock your eyes on the target, mount and fire as the gun hits your cheek no waiting. If it needs under and right lead just go to that edge. It is easier to take a low incomer out at 35 yards than let it close the distance but start to fall or curl.

There is a tendancy to ride incomers, but if you ride it, it is easy to miss.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
There are several advantages to shoooting those boogers a bit farther out, not the least of which is the pattern is far larger. Where I shoot sometimes they toss a few that darn neart hit you in the feet if you don't get them. 'bout like shooting 'skeeters with a BB gun when they get TOO CLOSE!

BP

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you have watched this type of target for too long you are doing multiple barrel check backs and are bound to miss.Next time you are there get set up close your eyes (just for fun),call pull and take the target just as soon as you can acquire it once your eyes are open.No time to measure but once.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ysr racer, That's a nice lookin station, where is it? I think I know what I'm doing wrong on these kinds of shots now. I've been waiting until they come closer because it feels like you should be able to really hit them the closer they get. Now I've got to knock them out before they get to the 'ideal' (in my brain) place to shoot them, which is on my feet :? .

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
With a kid in college and shooting an 1100 Remington I am one of those low incomers. :shock:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, it's Lehigh Valley, stations 2, 3 & 4. They mix them up a little, but it's a falling incomer the whole way, with a slight turn to the left or right. #2A has one coming straight in, and the second coming in from the right. I have to lower the gun, pivot, and re-mount the gun to shoot it.
Very nice pictures, by the way!
I think I just wait too long, and end up with a big angle and small pattern working against me. If I take them farther away, there's less angle, and the pattern opens up enough to compensate for slight mistakes.
Thanks for the advice!
George :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
:roll:

The problem with these type of low incomers / crossers is taht people shoot over the top of them - and they lift their head off the stock !!!! I make sure my gun is UNDER the line o fthe target and my weight on my front foot -I even bend from the waist slightly forward. This helps me resist the temptation to shoot over the top.

Works for me

Con

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.