Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the recipe I can follow because I have all of the correct components..It’s straight off the Hodgdon website.

12 gauge AA Hull
1 1/4 oz lead shot
27 grains Winchester Super Field
WAA12F114 wad
Federal 209a primer
1310 FPS
10700 psi

Here is my predicament. I don’t really want a load that fast. What would you all suggest i do with my powder drop if say I wanted to attempt something closer to 1250 FPS? Drop the powder charge to 26? Maybe 25? If I drop the powder charge do you think that my powder might have trouble getting a good clean burn because the load will likely be lower pressure?

Unfortunately I don’t have a chronograph to measure but I’m looking for an educated guess from some of you that are more experienced than me.
I’m trying make up some good pheasant loads for my trip to Kansas next month. My understanding is lead tends to pattern much better when it’s not screaming fast at over 1300fps

I’m all ears on any input you all might have. Thanks. GG

·
Registered
28,164 Posts
Unfortunately I don’t have a chronograph to measure but I’m looking for an educated guess from some of you that are more experienced than me.
I’m trying make up some good pheasant loads for my trip to Kansas next month. My understanding is lead tends to pattern much better when it’s not screaming fast at over 1300fps

Don't change a thing. The standard 12 gauge hunting load since forever is 1330 fps. What you are talking about, 50 - 60 fps, changes nothing. Moreover, in cold weather, your theoretical 1310 fps load will be clocking 1220 or so.

·
Premium Member
8,238 Posts
I agree with Randy, dropping the load by 50 FPS is kind of a nothing.

A GOOD 1310 FPS load will lose about 65 FPS at 0 degrees F.

IMHO Leave the load alone and enjoy the hunt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I’ll just stick with the original recipe especially since it’s likely to be cold in Kansas in December and I’ll likely need all the power I can get out of this load.
GG

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
that actually looks like a good load.
decent pressure, and a hot primer already, any changes will make the load less efficient and could lead to problems in the cold.

if i wanted less i'd look elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Ok here is the recipe I can follow because I have all of the correct components..It’s straight off the Hodgdon website.

12 gauge AA Hull
1 1/4 oz lead shot
27 grains Winchester Super Field
WAA12F114 wad
Federal 209a primer
1310 FPS
10700 psi

Here is my predicament. I don’t really want a load that fast. What would you all suggest i do with my powder drop if say I wanted to attempt something closer to 1250 FPS? Drop the powder charge to 26? Maybe 25? If I drop the powder charge do you think that my powder might have trouble getting a good clean burn because the load will likely be lower pressure?

Well, unfortunately, it is kind of hard to tell how arbitrary reductions in powder will perform. Ultra high velocity is predominately an offshoot of steel shot loads. It is seldom beneficial with lead & high density non toxic loads. However, high velocity is not counter productive by itself unless it degrades patterns, but it often does. It also tends to increase recoil. I would look for tested data. I use the lightest listed powder charge in Hodgdon's Hevishot data with Longshot for waterfowl & have thought about using salt for buffer so the birds won't spoil before I can retrieve them! I just noticed you are using Super Field! I don't think you will have a problem reducing loads within reason with that powder. The lighter loads of SF work great for
I agree with Randy, dropping the load by 50 FPS is kind of a nothing.

A GOOD 1310 FPS load will lose about 65 FPS at 0 degrees F.

IMHO Leave the load alone and enjoy the hunt.
I can agree with that if it is giving you good results! If it isn't, reducing the velocity might help but it might not! If it ain't broke, don't fix it but I don't think lead loads over 1300 fps. offer any advantage over 1200 fps or even 1100 fps in most cases. The longer the range, the smaller will be the velocity difference between a fast load & a slow load. However, there is an exception to everything. Velocity does offer positive qualities, just not as often or as much as what most people think! I try to do what works for me in the field!

·
Premium Member
8,238 Posts
Actually velocity in and of itself does not degrade patterns. Acceleration (setback) is what creates the problem, by deforming pellets. The higher the acceleration rate the more the pellets can be deformed. But not every load will react the same. 1310 FPS is not a very high velocity for a lead shot load, especially when using good hard and round magnum shot. 1310 FPS is definitely not an issue with lead shot when it is buffered, since the pellets stay much rounder.

Velocity and pressure get and have gotten a bad name when it comes to lead shot, when in reality neither create the problems. Right behind V & P is the relative quickness of powders, which doesn't figure into the equation much either, but has also become a favorite whipping boy.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Actually velocity in and of itself does not degrade patterns. Acceleration (setback) is what creates the problem, by deforming pellets. The higher the acceleration rate the more the pellets can be deformed. But not every load will react the same. 1310 FPS is not a very high velocity for a lead shot load, especially when using good hard and round magnum shot. 1310 FPS is definitely not an issue with lead shot when it is buffered, since the pellets stay much rounder.

Velocity and pressure get and have gotten a bad name when it comes to lead shot, when in reality neither create the problems. Right behind V & P is the relative quickness of powders, which doesn't figure into the equation much either, but has also become a favorite whipping boy.
I hope you have success with your loads. I am a "whatever works kind of guy". Most everything, the motor on your boat, & in your car, the rifle & shotgun shells you load, all reach a point of diminishing returns. I try to find the most efficient points! What I do works for me, I sincerely hope what you do works for you!

·
Premium Member
8,238 Posts
geometric,

I have always used lead shot velocities between 1200 and 1300 FPS, but I do have some lighter 16 gauge loads 3/4 and 7/8 in the 1325 to 1425 FPS range that pattern a lot better than you might think. Those velocities were reached not because I want to break targets 5 feet farther away or to shorten leads(or any other foolish reason) but to bring the load to a decent pressure so they would perform well in all weather conditions and cycle my SA shotgun.

More velocity isn't bad, as it does give the lead pellets more energy over the entire effective range, which is not a negative.

The only negative I get with velocity is with target loads and too much recoil. I kinda like 1 oz. @ 1250 FPS. Hunting loads aren't an issue.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I don’t have original wad. I’m using the claybuster and or Downrange clone.
The Downrange clone is a copy of the original WAA12FII4 wad. I think the Claybuster clone is just a slight variant of the WWAA12. The WAA12F114 is a good wad but I loaded good shells before a one piece plastic wad ever existed. However, the more components we have to work with, the better off we are.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts