Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my sources are correct, LP won all 4 guns and HOA at Houston this past weekend. I don't know if I've ever heard of that at a top 15 shoot except 1 time when Wayne Mayes swept the Gateway in St. Louis in the 80's. Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
He's been doing very well everywhere this year it seems! He was deadly in Richmond at the Kolar Open in June!

·
Registered
134 Posts
al magyar said:
If my sources are correct, LP won all 4 guns and HOA at Houston this past weekend. I don't know if I've ever heard of that at a top 15 shoot except 1 time when Wayne Mayes swept the Gateway in St. Louis in the 80's. Anyone else?
Did Uke win all 7 events at an east coast shoot once, not sure if it was Top 15 shoot though ??

·
Registered
531 Posts
100topshot said:
al magyar said:
Did Uke win all 7 events at an east coast shoot once, not sure if it was Top 15 shoot though ??
I don't have the old annuals from the late 80's/early 90's, but I am pretty sure that Bobby ran all events at the Pineapple Lobster Shoot or the Zone 2 at PG Trap & Skeet club. A hell of a shooter, he was! Too bad, he quit because he was a fun guy to watch. And his dad was a character too.

JD

·
Banned
5,707 Posts
Bobby U took 12/20/28/410/Doubles/HOA with a 400x400 at the Brad Rivenburgh Open at Salisbury in 2005. NSSA did not recognize a HAA Champion, but his score would have been 500.

That shoot was ranked #93 that year.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
You can compare the score but not the depth of the competition. Now versus late 80's,90's early 2000's....no way.

Calm down Al. :wink:

Face it. Many of the big guns burned out and do not compete any more. If they do its not as prepared as they once were.

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
It was the NorthSouth when we had to move it to PG Trap and Skeet after the closing of National Capital.

I'm not sure that we were top 15 then but we were a top 20 shoot.

Bobby ran every target and never missed in a shoot off. Never missed a target all weekend. He won it all and there were some very good shooters there including Mr Mayes.

I was skeet chairman at the time.

Quite an amazin achievement as is LP's more recent accomplishment at Houston

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
cbxchris said:
You can compare the score but not the depth of the competition. Now versus late 80's,90's early 2000's....no way.

Face it. Many of the big guns burned out and do not compete any more. If they do its not as prepared as they once were.
Would you care to define "burned out" for me? Meaning they were no longer competitive, so they quit shooting?

Name a few shooters for me who were at the top of the game and just quit?

Winning all 4-guns and HOA with a 400x400 at a shoot as big as the Best of Texas is a great feat! Don't try to diminish it!

·
Registered
175 Posts
cbxchris said:

While I agree that there are some great shooters from the past who are no longer competing, there are still a number of great shooters from the past few decades who are still competing at the highest level. Paxton, Bender(when he heals up), Schmidt, Magyar, amongst others.

Also, there are a number of new shooters that are shooting 4x4's, 5x5's, and hitting many big wins. Obviously you have heard about LP, but what about James Barnard, Gordon Novak, Josh Poole, and Michael Peterson? While some of these shooters may fizzle and fade away over time, others may go on to be know as all time greats. Only time will tell. Attempting to diminish LP's accomplishment by claiming that shooters who used to be good but no longer compete are somehow better than the great shooters of today is an argument that simply does not hold water, and an insult to the great shooters of today. The only way to know the real truth would be to put all the great shooters on the same field at the same time while they are all in their prime. This would, I believe, present some sort of a space/time continuum conflict. Claiming to know who is the better shooter based upon what we have selectively remembered and forgotten over the last couple of decades is nothing more than baseless speculation at best.

Best Regards,
Jason Johnson

·
Banned
5,707 Posts
2015 -

Best of Texas rated #13, Factor 50.80.

N/S's Factor of 48 would be rated #15.

Comparable accomplishments.

I'm not familiar with Mayes' accomplishment at the Gateway. Can anyone add more about that? Date?

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
John Henry said:
cbxchris said:

Would you care to define "burned out" for me? Meaning they were no longer competitive, so they quit shooting?

Winning all 4-guns and HOA with a 400x400 at a shoot as big as the Best of Texas is a great feat! Don't try to diminish it!
Craig Kirkman, Bobby U, Hayes Wauford,even our own Elderiz right here. Won the big shoots and left, even the worlds. Kirkman showed after 7 years gone from the Worlds. HOA 3rd in 2014. GONE again. Lot more instances than those few. Not competitive? You decide.

I said you cannot diminish the HOA score but you can the gun championships.

·
Banned
5,707 Posts
John Henry said:
Geez, that's so easy. If you consider making multiple Open All American Teams or World Championships as 'at the top of the game', there are dozens and dozens. Just in Zone 2 -

Uknalis, Kozak, Cameron, Winters, Benson, Nobbs, D'Alessio, Chester, Cavanaugh, Kroeger, Hetrick, Kruth, and Rodale to name a few. There are probably a dozen others that left at their peak and came back as Seniors for a more casual approach to the game. And even more that left competitive registered skeet and still shoot some at their local skeet club, or sporting course, and if they are Life Members make a cameo at a local shoot or their state shoot.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
People quit for a variety of reasons. I have had a fairly large number of my skeet shooting friends here in Washington do just that. I have not heard one of them leave because they were not satisfied with NSSA or that it was a money issue. With the majority of them, they are just getting on in years and taking up some new activity like golf or knitting. There does always seem to be some undercurrent here to believe that NSSA is responsible for people getting out of the game and but the undercurrent is basically two vocal people. I have been getting back into fly fishing for trout and in the last two months bought two drift boats for river fishing. Doubt I will stop skeet shooting and just fly fish but my activities are changing.

It just seems to be more notable when one of the Big Dogs leave the game. How can they do that?????? The simple answer may be that the fame and glitter grows old and in reality they are no different than most of us except for increased skills.

Well I have a slot car racing lesson and then hot yoga class and then needle point. Not really but I do have things to do other than shoot skeet, write about it and read about it. Kind of like life goes on.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.