Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the Sizemaster I won on eBay. It is an absolute deal. After a little cleaning, it has obviously been used, but not much at all. It needs a new primer tray and a crimp starter, but that's all. I'm quite excited.

When it showed up, it was covered in thick grease and a silvery substance (some lubricant I assume). These were doing more to bind up the action than allow it to work. So, I have striped it down, cleaned it, and put it back together with some lithium. I'm afraid the grade of the lithium is a bit thick, so I am here looking for suggestions on lubricant.

My particular area of concern is the resizing unit. Both the bar within the main pole and the collar itself don't seem to move quite as freely as desired with the lithium. I don't want to go too light with my lubricant as it will just wear off. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
The sizing collet is lubricated with an anti-seize lubricant. (The silver stuff you cleaned off). You can order a tube from MEC or you can get a tube of Loctite antisieze from the auto parts store. The MEC and the Loctite appear to be identical. You probably need to take the sizeing collet out (unscrew the locknut on the bottom and unscrew the collet), clean all the lithium back off, and lubricate with the anti-seize.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah! I knew that stuff was probably special... didn't slow up the cleaning process much though. :roll: I was being quite thorough. I'll pick some of the anit-sieze up later today. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
If you can find a tube locally of Super Lube synthetic grease, made by the Synco Chemical Corp., you can't beat it for greasing that Sizemaster collet, choke tube threads, O/U hinges and many other things.

Wonderful stuff and it should be available at some auto parts stores.

I get the larger 3 oz. tube from MidwayUSA when I order other stuff so I don't have to pay shipping on just one tube.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds a bit more versatile. Never a bad thing to have on hand. I'll give both a look. Thanks!

·
Registered
558 Posts
The best stuff I've found is the silver anti-seize. You should be able to find some at your local auto parts store, it works great on spark plug threads also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts