Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
do a search on this subject it was discussed at lenght but some of the ones were stos, progold any of the greases form the gun mfgs.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Any good grease or heavy oil will do fine. I use either 80-120 weight gear oil or white lithium grease - both available at any auto parts store at a fraction of the price of something labeled for guns.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whtsmoke said:
do a search on this subject it was discussed at lenght but some of the ones were stos, progold any of the greases form the gun mfgs.
I did/have and did not find satisfactory information. That said I may not have utilized the somewhat confusing search engine to it's best.

I shoot Beretta O/U's and have found no info on Beretta's website. As far as I can tell all they sale is the basic oil.

Thanks for the informative posts from everyone and the links. That is very helpful.

Best Wishes,
1cdog

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
DEG said:
ruger4570 said:
I just like STOS because it is "clear" and won't show on the shoulder of my shirt or vest after using it.
I think you are using too much. :lol:
I doubt it,, but I have used some Moly greases that were RED and got stains on my vest. Like I said, any grease will probably work,, just your choice as there will be a 100 answers as to THE BEST grease.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
As said, there are many good greases out there specific for gun applications, STOS is good, Krieghoff Gun Glide works well.

But also as said, any good bearing grease (particularly a good synthetic bearing grease) is just as good and much cheaper. Any good die grease will also work.

There is not any really heavy load on the bearing surfaces of a shotgun, you are looking for two characteristics, slippery so as to avoid galling and stuff that won't melt away in summer heat (if you are a clay target shooter....summer is competition season and often a gun gets shot a lot in very hot weather. Skeet or trap doubles in almost any weather will get a gun fairly warm).

Cheers

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
claydoctor said:
ruger4570 said:
You won't go wron with STOS. Of course, I suspect any quality grease will work just fine. I just like STOS because it is "clear" and won't show on the shoulder of my shirt or vest after using it.
Is STOS a type of grease or a brand of grease?
Its a brand...(STOS)...Slicker Than Owl Sh*t!

Been on the market for years! :D

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Bobshouse said:
claydoctor said:
ruger4570 said:
You won't go wron with STOS. Of course, I suspect any quality grease will work just fine. I just like STOS because it is "clear" and won't show on the shoulder of my shirt or vest after using it.
Is STOS a type of grease or a brand of grease?
Its a brand...(STOS)...Slicker Than Owl Sh*t!

Been on the market for years! :D
But will it make things "slicker than deer guts on a doorknob" ? One of my favorite expressions

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Baron23 said:
.....There is not any really heavy load on the bearing surfaces of a shotgun, you are looking for two characteristics, slippery so as to avoid galling and stuff that won't melt away in summer heat (if you are a clay target shooter....summer is competition season and often a gun gets shot a lot in very hot weather. Skeet or trap doubles in almost any weather will get a gun fairly warm).

Cheers
There is no continuous heavy load on the bearing surfaces, but the impact loads upon firing can be extremely high. Chris Sells at Heym USA pointed this out to me and suggested I use a high-impact grease such as is obtainable at heavy equipment places - I use Sta-Plex Extreme Pressure red grease that doesn't get pushed out from between the surfaces. It has about the highest rating I could find. Got a tube of it at my machine tool dealer.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I used gunslik for years but it is graphite and makes a stain on any clothes it touches. Lately I have been using Super-Lube and like it very much. It is clear and synthetic and leaves no stains. I believe the synthetic grease will give all the protection you need. I found it in small tubes at the Cabela's in KC.

1 - 20 of 256 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.