Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I went from North Carolina out to Nebraska in December, to hunt pheasants. It was 5 to 9 degrees out there! Not only did my southern blood freeze--so did my Browning Auto 5; several times, it stovepiped after the first shot, costing me several roosters (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it). I even tried setting the friction ring for light loads, though I was of course shooting high brass; it didn't solve the problem.

I'm going back in two weeks; my question is, what lubricant should I apply to the friction tube, so this won't happen again? I've considered everything from WD-40 to CLP to graphite to Dri-Slide; but I thought, better to ask someone who hunts out there a lot, and would know. Opinions?
Thanks,
Beach004

·
Registered
323 Posts
If no one offers any better advice, go with spray silicon oil. It is light and tenacious on metal surfaces. It is also an excellent rust resister.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Read your Browning Owner's manual and use a very, very light coat of Browning Oil. I have used this dpwn to -12 degrees F.

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Lightly lube the action and the outside of the magazine tube with a good oil like CLP, FP-10, or Militec. When is the last time the bolt return spring and tube in the stock were cleaned? A gummed up one usually starts acting up in colder temps

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Worc said:
When is the last time the bolt return spring and tube in the stock were cleaned?
That's a good thought; I guess it's been several years, since I refinished the stock. If I can get the time, I'll pull the stock and have a look and a cleanup.

·
Registered
28,147 Posts
beach004 said:
Last year, I went from North Carolina out to Nebraska in December, to hunt pheasants. It was 5 to 9 degrees out there! Not only did my southern blood freeze--so did my Browning Auto 5; several times, it stovepiped after the first shot, costing me several roosters (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it). I even tried setting the friction ring for light loads, though I was of course shooting high brass; it didn't solve the problem.

I'm going back in two weeks; my question is, what lubricant should I apply to the friction tube
!1) Replace the recoil spring if you have never done it.

2) Put a couple of drops of Breakfree CLP on the tube, then wipe it off.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I hunt with an AL48 which is a very similar design to the A5. I use a product called G-96 gun treatment and have never had problems with it freezing up. Otherwise the above advice is good just leave a very thin coat of oil when you are done cleaning.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Randy, I had never considered replacing the recoil spring, unless it broke; it's over 30 years old. What's the rationale for doing so? Certainly a cheap step to take; I just wondered what happens to the spring over the years.

So far, I've had folks recommend just about every remedy I've considered or heard of, as described in my first note; sounds like lots of things work, so I may have something affecting my particular gun. Matter of fact, my son-in-law used an identical gun out there last year, even the same age, and he had no problem with ejection; so that argues for something other than lubrication perhaps being at fault.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Tell you what I put on the magazing tube when I'm hunting freezing temps, late season back home in South Dakota:

Mobil 1 (5W-30)

This synthetic oil will flow and a glaze is all you need. I've never had it fail.

I've messed with FP-10, Break-Free...many others.

This stuff does the job and WILL NOT gum up...just keep it light.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mobil 1...Well, that is certainly a unique suggestion! Worth a try; and, as my father used to say when he was about to embark on some project around the homeplace, "I don't see why it shouldn't work..."

Thanks!

·
Registered
579 Posts
as my father used to say when he was about to embark on some project around the homeplace, "I don't see why it shouldn't work..."

I love that!!

I just cannot help but think of the downfall of many men (and home projects) just after uttering those very words. Such words have doomed better men than I. Funny stuff.

Seriously...if there is something wrong with using Mobil 1, I've not found it. My A-5's (20's, Sweet 16, and 12's) all get the same thing...a light coat of 5W-30 Mobil 1. Works hot or cold. They show Mobil 1 on TV being cooked in a frying pan...then they show it flowing in sub-zero temps with the "other brand" flowing like syrup. So...figured as your daddy did "Don't see why it shouldn't work". Also being an A-5 fan, I had fought with the right oil at the right time. This has been my solution for nearly 10 years. Only time I've had a jam was when the dog knocked my Lt-12 into the drink. Froze solid before I could work the bolt to remove the 3 damn shells.

I suspect if I was not careful about getting too much on any wood surface...this oil might soften it up. BUT...a dab will do ya.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Synthetic oil is the way to go. It was invented to resist the sub, sub zero tempratures of high altidude flight. I like Tri Flow... it's about $8.00 for a large spray can, but it is the slickest stuff I have ever seen, and excelent at preventing rust. On the friction tube... It should be wiped nearly dry anyway, because other wise it won't work. Its designed to have friction.

I'd use synthetic lube thoughout.

bd

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nastymcnarf said:
as my father used to say when he was about to embark on some project around the homeplace, "I don't see why it shouldn't work..."

I love that!!

I just cannot help but think of the downfall of many men (and home projects) just after uttering those very words. Such words have doomed better men than I. .
Yes, it became a catchphrase in my family, used mostly by my mother, in worried anticipation of some new fiasco. Here in the South, the only words more foreboding are, "Hey Bubba! Hold my beer and watch this!"

·
Registered
211 Posts
This will work....

http://www.eezox.com/gun-care.html

Advanced Technology Triple Action Solution that cleans, lubricates, and preserves firearms. It is one of the finest treatments that you can give your guns.

Synthetic EEZOX® Premium Gun Care is a total gun-care system with ONE PRODUCT for all guns. This includes black powder guns. Since EEZOX® is not petroleum based, it will not affect the seasoning of a muzzleloader bore. EEZOX® enables your firearm to function as designed by the manufacturer.

Cleans, lubricates and protects - EEZOX® DOES IT ALL

Eliminates stiff actions, jamming and residue build-up

Harmless to powders and primers

Non-flammable (not a petroleum based product)

Dry to the touch on guns in use or stored

Functions from +450F to -95F

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to "close the loop" on this thread, in the end, I carried the A5, lubricated with CLP, with the recoil ring set for heavy loads; and also my Ithaca 37. My son-in-law shot the former, I the latter. We experienced sub-teen temperatures most of the four days we hunted (also beautiful scenery, blanketed in six inches to a foot or more of snow). After about five shots, the A-5 stovepiped one shell, so I switched it over to light loads (we were shooting 1 1/4 ounces of shot, Federals and Remingtons), and had no further problems.

The Ithaca performed flawlessly for me, aside from one wretched moment when somehow the "tooth" didn't catch the fired shell to eject it, leading to the world's worst pileup of shells in the receiver--while a rooster cackled his way over my fuming form; but otherwise it was the ideal choice, light, easy to swing. The extra recoil isn't much of a factor when you are dressed like the Michelin man, and rarely shooting anyway.

Thanks to all who wrote. Go hunting.
Beach004

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.